Buttercream For Fondant Use - Desperately Need Help. :)

Baking By luv2cthemouse Updated 2 Aug 2010 , 3:08am by luv2cthemouse

luv2cthemouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cthemouse Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 2:08am
post #1 of 14

Hi,

I have learned how to make marshmallow fondant and enjoy making pretty cakes with it. The issue I am running into is that between the super-sweetness of the fondant and then the super-sweetness of the buttercream makes the cake quite hard to eat.

Does anybody have any suggestions for me on how to tone down the sweetness? Maybe a better buttercream recipe?

I have been using the Wilton recipe made with crisco. I prefer the butter recipe made with milk, but I have read that this kind of buttercream has to be refrigerated. Refrigerating fondant is not so great.

Please please help. I am so frustrated at this point. icon_cry.gif

13 replies
deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 2:22am
post #2 of 14

try indydebis bc recipe. I actually prefer her cream cheese version as the flavor of the cream cheese is barely there but helps to cut the sweetness...

1 2/3 cups Crisco
1 8 ounce box cream cheese (softened to room temperature)
4 LB. powdered sugar (SIFTED)
6 tablespoons Dream Whip
2 tablespoons vanilla (clear if you need white icing)
1 to 1 1/3 cups milk (I use half and half)

Put Crisco and cream cheese in mixing bowl and whip for 10-15 minutes.
Add about 1 1/2 pounds of the sifted powdered sugar, about 1/2 the milk and Dream Whip and mix until blended. Incorporate the rest of the powdered sugar, another 1/2 cup milk and vanilla. Let whip for at least 20 minutes. You may need to add up to 1/3 cups more milk...maybe even more. Just have to add until it "looks right". I like my icing pretty thick (still spreadable but thick)
I have also added 6 ounces of melted white chocolate to this icing and it is really, really good. It will require more milk if you add the chocolate, just add a teaspoon at a time until it "looks right". I used the icing with white chocolate added for a red velvet cake and it was a great flavor combination.

You can use half butter and half Crisco...I don't because of the heat and humidity in my area. This icing crust very well and will smooth beautifully using the viva method.

luv2cthemouse Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 3:03am
post #3 of 14

Thank you for this. icon_smile.gif And thank you for the quick response.

Can this be left out or does it have to be refrigerated? With dairy, I would assume refrigerated - - - but that causes issues with the fondant. icon_sad.gif

MessMaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessMaker Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 3:35am
post #4 of 14

Or you could cover it with Ganache first.. A thin layer poured over the cake will give the cake a clean hard surface making it easier to cover it with fondant.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 5:14am
post #5 of 14

Indydebi's original recipe doesn't need to be refrigerated. Not sure about the cream cheese version.

The sugar in American buttercreams acts as a preservative for the small amounts of milk used in icing, so it's safe to leave out.

deMuralist Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 5:52am
post #6 of 14

Still enough sugar in the cream cheese version to not need to be put in the fridge.

to cut down on the dairy to sugar ratio you could easily substitute a non-dairy creamer for the milk

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 6:18am
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by deMuralist

Still enough sugar in the cream cheese version to not need to be put in the fridge.

to cut down on the dairy to sugar ratio you could easily substitute a non-dairy creamer for the milk

That's great to know! icon_biggrin.gif

I've been using Earlene Moore's cream cheese recipe, but I always end up adding dream whip to it because it feels greasy otherwise.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 6:20am
post #8 of 14

you could look through the recipe section here on Cake Central...I love the crusting buttercream recipe which uses shortening and butter. You can also try using a little less powdered sugar and then make sure to whip your frosting a little more than it calls for icon_smile.gif

most recipes you don't really need it...but you could try adding a little salt or flour to tone down both your fondant and your bc....you kind of have to play with your recipes to see what you like, but definitely don't use the Wilton Recipe anymore icon_lol.gif

luv2cthemouse Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 3:56pm
post #9 of 14

Thank you for all of the comments and feedback. I will need to do a few more practice receipes before October. I thought about using the Italian Meringe buttercream, but I just dont feel right about leaving egg whites out overnight.

deMuralist Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 11:05pm
post #10 of 14

I just realized that I did not give credit for that recipe. It is Indydebi's and it was quoted from mamawrobin.

I have found that it works best if I run the cream cheese and crisco in the mixer for at least 15 minutes to start. While that is going on, I slightly warm about 1/2 C of milk (or whatever I am using) and add the dream whip to that to let it dissolve. Then add that in when I add the powdered sugar and flavoring and beat for a while. Then if it needs more liquid I add more here.

Last time I made it I added 3 squares of unsweetened chocolate melted and cooled slightly and the taste was fantastic and also helped with the sweetness factor.

Also I find a dash of salt helps with the sweetness as well.

luv2cthemouse Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 2:39am
post #11 of 14

Well - I made it but it is really not very thick. I followed the recipe exactly and used only 1 cup of milk. I certainly know my way around the kitchen, so I am not sure what I did wrong. icon_sad.gif

deMuralist Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 2:53am
post #12 of 14

wow, mine almost always starts out way too thick/stiff. not sure what to tell ya?

luv2cthemouse Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 3:03am
post #13 of 14

Does it need to stand to thicken?

luv2cthemouse Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 3:08am
post #14 of 14

I even tried adding in another 2 cups of sugar but that made no difference. My sister said to add some flour, but I am afraid that will ruin the flavor.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%