Food Cart For Cake/cupcake Business?

Business By FH_Cakes Updated 3 Aug 2010 , 12:00pm by minicuppie

FH_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FH_Cakes Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 11:57pm
post #1 of 5

I have seen several people around the counrty sell Cupcakes out of a Food Vendor cart. Are they baking the products in the cart or is this done out of a licensed kitchen and then transfered to the cart?

Anyone currently doing this?

4 replies
cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 12:10am
post #2 of 5

I'm not sure what the rules are where you live however, in Florida you can get licensed for dispensing by way of the cart. You must of course have a licensed space to bake your food out of and this is a commissary. Check with your Dept. of Agriculture and see if you can get any information from them. I hope this has helped you.
evelyn

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 3:18pm
post #3 of 5

You have to check with your HD to see what is and isn't acceptable with a food cart. I was going to do a cookie cart in my area. Got the green light from the HD but the historic society of the town I wanted to sell in had been a roadblock.

My hd said since I bake from a licensed kitchen and I have my food manufacturers lic. and insurance that it would be fine for me to sell from a cart already baked items. I figured once I ran out, I ran out, end of the day. If I can get through the red tape I will be doing this next summer during tourist season.

Katiebelle74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiebelle74 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 3:50pm
post #4 of 5

In NC you can get licensed for dispensing by way of the cart. You must of course have a licensed space to bake your food out of. One of the big issues for the health dept. here is that you have a kitchen with commercial dishwasher to clean all your equipment. I know this because my husband's family owns a restaurant here in town and the get approached a lot by food cart vendors who want to use their kitchen for that reason.

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 12:00pm
post #5 of 5

This is off topic, but I wanted to mention it.
I am seeing alot of questions about vendor airstream conversions.
We were in Austin last weekend and stopped at a parking lot that is home to about 7 regular food vendors.
The Cutie Pie (seen in Southern Living and MS mags recently) was among them, but I wanted to try a cupcake from the famous trailer with the giant pink cupcake on top.
Huge mistake. We bought 4 cupcakes in several flavor to take back to the hotel.
They were large (muffin size) and the box was way too small.
When we got to the hotel with our "prize" the icing was so soft that every cupcake had melted into the others.
Granted, it was 100 degrees in the shade, and I remember wondering how the person inside was not having a heat stroke.
So. The moral of this story is, whatever you are going to sell, PLEASE refrigerate.
We were afraid to eat any one of those ($4 per) cupcakes for fear of some kind of food borne illness ruining the balance of our trip.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%