Customers Car Was Filthy...ugh.

Decorating By cathyscakes Updated 1 Aug 2010 , 2:47pm by frankdiabetes

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 9:28pm
post #1 of 14

My car was in the shop, so I couldn't deliver the wedding cake today. The customer picked it up. When I opened the back of their s.u.v. to put the cake in, I couldn't believe how filthy it was. Animal hair, dirt, garbage, wow. I worry so much about being clean. Bleaching my counters, keeping my hair pulled back, so careful about cleanliness. I would think if their car was that dirty they would bring a sheet or something to put the cake on. I wanted to do that, but didn't want to hurt their feelings. Just hoping they don't open a window, and the air blows that stuff all over the cake. I'm afraid people will think I wasn't clean. Maybe I should start putting my cakes in boxes.

13 replies
cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 11:24pm
post #2 of 14

Ugh! I'm disgusted just reading about it.

julesh268 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julesh268 Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 11:58pm
post #3 of 14

Yuck.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 4:03am
post #4 of 14

A cake never leaves my kitchen unless it's in a box, regardless of whether I'm delivering it or the customer takes it.

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 4:19am
post #5 of 14

You shouldn't ever let the cake leave without a box....plus, that extra little step makes you look that much more professional!

bates123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bates123 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 4:36am
post #6 of 14

What boxes do you guys use for two or three tier cakes? I'd love to box them, but have a hard time figuring out how exactly to go about it.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 5:09am
post #7 of 14

I use a new moving box from Home Depot. The big box is $1.29. I tape it really well and then put a square of nonskid drawer liner in the bottom before lowering the cake into the box. I tape the top of the box and tell them to cut the sides of the box to get the cake out at the destination. I also provide a square of drawer liner to go under the box in the vehicle.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 5:26am
post #8 of 14

How do you lower a stacked cake into the box? I can see myself really messing up the cake trying to lower it in there.

soph917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soph917 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 5:40am
post #9 of 14

I wouldn't lower it into the box either, I'm sure I'd mess something up. I have used a large box and used a box cutter to cut two of the sides, vertically. Slide the cake in, tape back up with packaging tape. Cut tape to remove the cake.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 5:40am
post #10 of 14

I make my husband put the cake in the box icon_biggrin.gif He has longer, leaner arms than me.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 1:02pm
post #11 of 14

I don't box my wedding cakes, i wouldn't be able to get them in to my car if i did.

And i sympathize with the op cause i have had people pick up cakes with cars that are filthy and frankly it is disgusting, but if thats how they want to treat their cake then its none of my business i already got paid.

BTW: the last one that did this sent the groom to get the cake, and he had bare feet and cut off dress pants with mud up to his knees, and the wedding was to start in like 10 minutes icon_smile.gif Can you say very laid back bride!

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 1:25pm
post #12 of 14

If I can't put a cake in a box, I at least cover it loosely with lots of plastic wrap. Of course, most of the time I do fondant covered cakes.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 2:24pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph917

I wouldn't lower it into the box either, I'm sure I'd mess something up. I have used a large box and used a box cutter to cut two of the sides, vertically. Slide the cake in, tape back up with packaging tape. Cut tape to remove the cake.

This is what I do, too. A lot of the cakes are just too heavy to lift down into a box.

frankdiabetes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankdiabetes Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 2:47pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I make my husband put the cake in the box icon_biggrin.gif He has longer, leaner arms than me.

Hehe, my husband would be perfect for this job! He's 6'7" and has arms like very long pipe cleaners. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%