Problems Turning Out Cakes - Help Please

Decorating By CatherineCakes2010 Updated 31 Jul 2010 , 12:06pm by kristanashley

CatherineCakes2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CatherineCakes2010 Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 11:08am
post #1 of 5

Hi,

I'm new here, wonder if anyone can help me. I like baking cakes for me/friends but have problems turning out cakes, it's quite difficult because I only have use of one hand. I've tried a few different things and wonder if anyone can comment/offer suggestions?

I used to use tins with loose bottoms but often had trouble with cakes sticking to the sides. So I thought I'd try springform tins but the problem there was, I could never put the tins back together properly. I couldn't line them up exactly right with one hand and they were not settled in the ring completely straight. As well as using just one hand I'm blind and this probably didn't help trying to line the plate up.

Now recently I've been using silicon bakeware. I have a quiche mould which I'm very happy with, I usually leave the quiche to cool quite some time in the mould before cutting it with a plastic serated knife and taking out the individual slices. Because I don't think I could get the whole thing out with one hand without it breaking even though it doesn't stick much, I just haven't been brave enough to try.

But with cakes, I thought I'd better not leave the cake in the mould too long or it will get soggy. I have actually tried cooling a cake completely in the mould then tipping it onto a plate and to me it tasted fine but maybe this wouldn't be ok with all types of cakes.

The problem when I tried to turn out the cake from the silicon was it broke into two when I tipped the mould upside down. I think the problem is, it's so non stick, it just falls out and the cake can't stand up to the gravity. Or perhaps there was something wrong with my cake mixture, but I find it hard to believe all cakes could just be dropped like that and not suffer.

I suppose I could try and push the mould up from the bottom and push the cake out rather than tipping, but I'm not sure how easy this will be or whether the cake would still fall apart.

I think maybe if I went back to spring from pans and found a pan that was easy to line up properly to get back together this would be the solution but wonder if anyone has any recommendations?

The other thing I'm wondering, either if I do go back to springform pans or perhaps even with the silicon - maybe a cake lifter or some other tool would help me. If I could slide it down the side of the pan and under the cake, then lift out. But then the problem might be getting the cake off the lifter!

Ideally I think the easiest way for me would be if I had a springform pan that was easy to assemble. So easier to get a cake lifter under the cake without the sides. Then, a cake lifter or some utensil to slide under the cake and lift onto the cooling rack. Then would just have to gently move it out in some way to get it out.

The other question is - do I need to put the cake on the rack in the first place? When I tried cooling the cake in the mould entirely, but on top of the rack, it did taste ok to me. But maybe all cakes wouldn't, certainly when I make bread I'd never leave it in the tin as I know it gets soggy and horrible. And when I tried the same recipe but turning the cake out after quite some time in the mould, there was moisture underneath the cake which I thought wouldn't be good...

Ah well, if anyone can comment on any of this it'd be great icon_smile.gif any comments/suggestions welcome icon_smile.gif

4 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 11:28am
post #2 of 5

I think a screen for a frying pan might work. It's a wire mesh circle with a metal frame, and it has a handle. As long as you could hold onto the handle and the pan at the same time, then you could put the screen over the pan and the cake wouldn't fall while you were flipping it over.

I've never had good luck baking regular cakes in springform pans. The cake always runs out at the seam, even when it's lined up perfectly.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 11:46am
post #3 of 5

Hey Catherine, Welcome to Cake central!

Your message really stood out for me, For one, My name is Catherine too, im also partially blind in one eye.

The only thing i can suggest, In the way of a cake lifter. . Is a cake lifter, although it wouldnt help you get the cake out of the pan, It would help to lift it from the bench

Here is some links
http://www.cakecraftshop.co.uk/shop/4/256/index.htm
http://thecookskitchen.com/browse_13444

on the first link, the lifter is at the bottom of the page.

As for getting items out of the pan, I found this :
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00008XXA3/?tag=cakecentral-20

although its classed as a 'fish slice' I think something like this with a deep set angle would work, if its long enough to fit under the cake you may be able to lift out easier

Talking about metal cake pans, Not silicon, Do you line them? If you can, i would suggest you give this a try. brush the sides and base of your tin with a little butter, and then line them with grease proof paper, this will stop you cake from sticking, so you should be able to remove it much easier.

I think you might work better with loose bottom tins, that spring open, That would mean you wouldnt have to flip the cake out of tin, But there are quite alot of different types you can buy, Perhaps getting one or two different ones and having a practise with them might help

Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

Catherinex

cakesbyperla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyperla Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 11:47am
post #4 of 5

I use metal pans coated with Crisco and a dusting of flour. As soon as the cake comes out of the oven I let it rest in the pan for 12-13 minutes. Then I take a knife and run it around the cake edge just to make sure it doesn't get stuck. If it is 10 inches or less I have no problem just turning on to a wire rack. If it is larger then I just place the wire rack on the pan and then flip it altogether. Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

kristanashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristanashley Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 12:06pm
post #5 of 5

I was reading and visually going through different scenarios of myself using one hand only... and it seems difficult, but I think I've got it! Use a regular metal baking pan and grease and flour it. When the cakes are done, allow them to cool completely inside the pan. you can cover the pans with a damp cloth if you're worried about your cakes losing moisture. When the cake is completely cool, try to level the top as best as possible while still in the pan and run a butter knife around the edge of the pan to make sure it's not sticking to the sides. Now, place a heavy duty piece of cardboard or foamboard under the pan (with the cake still inside of it) and trace the shape of the pan onto the cardboard. Cut out the shape and tape it very securely to the top of your pan (pulling the tape all the way around the circumference of your entire pan and board). Now you can just flip your cake right onto the cardboard, bang on the bottom of your pan to make sure the cake falls out, and voila! Cut the tape and pull the pan off and your cake is flipped on its board.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%