Decorating With Whipped Cream

Decorating By menmyboys Updated 1 Aug 2010 , 12:43am by sweettreat101

menmyboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
menmyboys Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 1:57am
post #1 of 4

I need to make a spiderman cake with whipped cream icing. I do not have much experience with Whipped cream icing. Can I get dark colors with this icing? Do the colors bleed? Is there a recipe that is best for decorating, that holds up the design really well?

3 replies
DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 2:11am
post #2 of 4

whipped cream icing may not hold its look very well..
I've never used whipped cream icing.. but if its the taste your looking for..
I would use buttercream with milk - in my own opinion - I think when I add milk to my buttercream it tastes more rich and whippier lol
And will hold it's design and not melt.

I know my grams made a cute bootie cake with whipping cream.. it looked good, but maybe a melted look... I don't know if it will work well if your live in a place with a lot of humidity.

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 2:37am
post #3 of 4

I decorate with whipped cream icing a lot (most of my cakes are WC) It is very difficult to achieve a saturated color. I usually stick to lighter colors, and decorate with chocolate decorations (which don't break down on the cream like fondant would.) Also, sometimes I will use the WC icing to ice the cake, and then decorate w/buttercream in the darker colors. Just beware - the longer the cake sits (in the fridge, of course!) the more likely the colors from the BC will bleed onto the WC.
I can tell you - you CAN pipe with WC! I have done borders, dots, scrolls, even basketweave. icon_smile.gif Try to add a gelatin to stiffen it up a little, too! icon_smile.gif And make sure your bowl, whip and cream are SUPER cold before whipping to STIFF peaks!
HTH!

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 12:43am
post #4 of 4

Whipped cream frosting or Bettercreme doesn't achieve dark colors well. I usually tell my customers that they will have to use buttercream if they choose dark colors. Or if the main color of the cake is light in color but the border is dark then I can do whipped with a buttercream border.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%