3D Machine Gun

Decorating By LisaPeps Updated 4 Aug 2010 , 11:21pm by dguerrant

LisaPeps Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 10:24pm
post #1 of 3

I've had a request for a 3d machine gun with bullets.

Should I,

a) Do a 3d machine gun cake, with structure and cake wedged in where the structure allows (the sort of cake that duff or buddy would do :S)

b) Model a 3d machine gun using gumpaste/modelling chocolate/similar medium and put it on top of a sheet cake as a topper?

IMO a) would be more of a wow factor but doing the structural elements would cause concern... Doug any ideas!!! icon_razz.gif

Option b) would be the safe..ish option (and would be cheaper to produce)

Opinions pleaseeeee icon_biggrin.gif

2 replies
Doug Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 4:55pm
post #2 of 3

either option depends upon the type of machine gun.

the old Gatling gun style would be great for option A as it is a rather large barrel (round tiers on edge).

modern machine guns are just to slim & trim to do easily with cake, tho' it could be done -- would be many long narrow layers of cake stacked up and carved (take a 12x18 and cut length wise to get 3 4"x18' pieces) would be on a wood base the length and width of gun.

for either: tripod would be wood dowels, pvc or even an old real tripod (salvage from old telescope for example).

base is just long narrow sheet of masonite.

gun belt -- long strip of hardened fondant/gumpaste. bullets -- lots of hand detailing from fondant.

don't forget that belt with bullets is usually folded up in ammo box. And need lots of empty casings lying around too.

dguerrant Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 11:21pm
post #3 of 3

I have done an M4/M16, it's in my photos. i made it for a soldier returning from Iraq. his family was throwing a suprise party. I had the privilage to make this for him!!!! He is currently deployed again icon_sad.gif the ammo box and the gun are cake and the flag, letter, and camo are fondant. it ended up being about 3 feet or so in length. i baked a few sheet cakes and lined them up and carved them, hope this helps, and best of luck to you, make sure to post the picsicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%