3D Machine Gun

Decorating By LisaPeps Updated 4 Aug 2010 , 11:21pm by dguerrant

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 10:24pm
post #1 of 3

I've had a request for a 3d machine gun with bullets.

Should I,

a) Do a 3d machine gun cake, with structure and cake wedged in where the structure allows (the sort of cake that duff or buddy would do :S)

or

b) Model a 3d machine gun using gumpaste/modelling chocolate/similar medium and put it on top of a sheet cake as a topper?

IMO a) would be more of a wow factor but doing the structural elements would cause concern... Doug any ideas!!! icon_razz.gif

Option b) would be the safe..ish option (and would be cheaper to produce)

Opinions pleaseeeee icon_biggrin.gif

2 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 4:55pm
post #2 of 3

either option depends upon the type of machine gun.

the old Gatling gun style would be great for option A as it is a rather large barrel (round tiers on edge).

modern machine guns are just to slim & trim to do easily with cake, tho' it could be done -- would be many long narrow layers of cake stacked up and carved (take a 12x18 and cut length wise to get 3 4"x18' pieces) would be on a wood base the length and width of gun.

for either: tripod would be wood dowels, pvc or even an old real tripod (salvage from old telescope for example).

base is just long narrow sheet of masonite.

gun belt -- long strip of hardened fondant/gumpaste. bullets -- lots of hand detailing from fondant.

don't forget that belt with bullets is usually folded up in ammo box. And need lots of empty casings lying around too.
LL

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 11:21pm
post #3 of 3

I have done an M4/M16, it's in my photos. i made it for a soldier returning from Iraq. his family was throwing a suprise party. I had the privilage to make this for him!!!! He is currently deployed again icon_sad.gif the ammo box and the gun are cake and the flag, letter, and camo are fondant. it ended up being about 3 feet or so in length. i baked a few sheet cakes and lined them up and carved them, hope this helps, and best of luck to you, make sure to post the picsicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%