Does Ameri Color Red Taste Bitter

Baking By TapsTreats Updated 30 Jul 2010 , 1:10am by SugarFrosted

TapsTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TapsTreats Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 2:12pm
post #1 of 10

Hi - I am making a Razorback cake and I need to make some deep red MMF.

Does the Ameri Color Super Red taste bitter? I have only used Wilton no taste red and I have heard that Ameri Color is better and deeper so I thought I would give it a try.

Also, should i use chocolate fondant as a base first before I add color or just tint the fondant pink first?

Thanks
Chonda

9 replies
Mamatoboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamatoboys Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 2:15pm
post #2 of 10

I've never noticed a taste from the Americolors. I've always started with white then dye it red, but I've heard it is easier to start with pink...you don't need to use as much red to get the color you want. Good Luck!

erichazann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erichazann Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 4:42pm
post #3 of 10

Americolor Super Red is a great color, as is Chefmaster's Super Red in the liquid gel line. Americolor is warm, chefmasters is cool.

Never had anyone complain about the taste from mine.

Red 3 causes the bitter taste. I'm not sure why Wilton's reds w/ Red 3 supposedly taste more bitter than others.

I've never colored fondant red from scratch tho, I buy it red and adjust the color.

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 4:57pm
post #4 of 10

Only start with chocolate for black.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 6:07pm
post #5 of 10

if you're making your fondant, add the coloring to the melted marshmallows before adding the PS. Takes less color and a lot less muscle since you don't have to turn white fondant red.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 9:07pm
post #6 of 10

For the "what it's worth department", a lovely red can be obtained by using sugar-free red Kool aid powder mixed in with the powdered sugar. I've done this for children's cakes where the fruit flavor is appreciated. (Not so sure how it'd go over with a Razorback cake!) If a more intense red is desired, it takes a lot less gel color to get to it. And I let it sit overnight to ripen the color.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 9:14pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmaid42

For the "what it's worth department", a lovely red can be obtained by using sugar-free red Kool aid powder mixed in with the powdered sugar. I've done this for children's cakes where the fruit flavor is appreciated. (Not so sure how it'd go over with a Razorback cake!) If a more intense red is desired, it takes a lot less gel color to get to it. And I let it sit overnight to ripen the color.

I've never thought to do that!!! That sounds awesome! I'm gonna have to try that!

BakingJeannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingJeannie Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 12:54am
post #8 of 10

Make candy mold from red candy melts and kneed into your fondant to get the red colour without having to add too much red gel colour. It also give the fondant a great taste. You can do this for most bright colours.

Cheers!

tannersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tannersmom Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 1:05am
post #9 of 10

Never had a problem with the red but the black is horrible if you have to use alot (IMO).

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 1:10am
post #10 of 10

Hi from Little Rock!

I've used Americolor Super Red for all my buttercream Razorback cakes. No bitter taste!
Never used fondant, so I can't help you there.

Good Luck! thumbs_up.gif
Anna

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%