How I Improved My Cakes

Decorating By KarolynAndrea Updated 29 Jul 2010 , 11:37pm by sugarshack

KarolynAndrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarolynAndrea Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 2:30am
post #1 of 9

I thought I would put out a general post because I always get asked how I get my cakes to look the way they do. My cakes were just average until I stumbled across a DVD called "Perfecting the Art of Buttercream" by SugarEd Productions. That really helped me get my BC to look as smooth as fondant!

They also have a bunch of other DVD's, I have them all. (Stacking, Fondant, Sheet, Topsy Turvy) The newest release is called "Back to Basics" and it teaches you tips and techniques on how to bake the perfect cake. It also has great recipes in there as well.

I've got to say, these DVD's have been the best investment I have made for my cakes so far and I highly recommend them to everyone! I swear I'm not getting paid to say this...LOL! I just really have benefited from these and thought I would share it with all of you.

8 replies
_christina_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_christina_ Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 2:40am
post #2 of 9

Can I ask what type of buttercream you use and what type of buttercream they show on the dvd? Or are the techniques used with all types?

I ask because often IMBC and American (crusting) BC have different techniques.

Thanks for sharing your success with the dvd's!

bmarlow001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmarlow001 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 2:42am
post #3 of 9

Thanks for the info.. I'm going to check them out now icon_smile.gif

sweetlybaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlybaked Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 2:46am
post #4 of 9

KarolynAndrea...your cakes are so so beautiful! It really shows that you took the time and effort to learn how to perfect your technique. My local cake decorating supply store has those DVD's for rent and I've thought about renting them before buying them...now I think I need to!

KarolynAndrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarolynAndrea Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 11:47am
post #5 of 9

It is a crusting buttercream. I have never used IMBC, so I'm not sure how it would work with that. But you can always ask Sharon (Sugarshack on here), she always answers questions.

crystal18_corpus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystal18_corpus Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 12:03pm
post #6 of 9

wow your cakes are beautiful i plan to purchase the back to basics dvd and buttercream then next the fondant and topsy I cant wait

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 12:04pm
post #7 of 9

I keep watching the preview of this DVD and have been wanting to order it. I feel like I'm "so close" to getting my BC smooth, but I just need some help. I think this DVD would probably get me to that next level. Thanks for your input & recommendation icon_smile.gif

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 12:18pm
post #8 of 9

You can actually watch Sharon making the buttercream she uses in the DVD on YouTube:

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 11:37pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you Karolyn and everyone else for such wonderful testimonials! We are thrilled that they are heling you guys!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%