Butter Cream Disaster

Baking By Karen_uk1 Updated 29 Jul 2010 , 9:26pm by Karen_uk1

Karen_uk1 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 12:12am
post #1 of 14

I thought I would try melted chocolate instead of cocoa in buttercream, ha ha. Ended up putting the formed blob on with my hands as when I tried to spatula the 'butter cream' on it blobbed off as fast as I applied...Lesson learned.

13 replies
HPChick33 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 12:19am
post #2 of 14

You live and learn icon_smile.gif. I unknowingly used white chpis instead of white chocolate to make ganache this weekend and all I got was a big greasy mess! Caking is all about trial and error!

mamawrobin Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 12:32am
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen_uk1

I thought I would try melted chocolate instead of cocoa in buttercream, ha ha. Ended up putting the formed blob on with my hands as when I tried to spatula the 'butter cream' on it blobbed off as fast as I applied...Lesson learned.





This is the only way I make chocolate buttercream icon_confused.gif You have to add extra milk when you add the chocolate. icon_surprised.gif There are several of us here on cc that make chocolate buttercream by adding melted chocolate and I've never heard of anyone having this problem. Did you add extra milk or just the melted chocolate?

The problem wasn't the melted chocolate.

Karen_uk1 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 12:57am
post #4 of 14

In England the most common way to make butter cream is with icing sugar, (I think call it powdered sugar) mixed with butter and a colour and flavouring.

cakeprof Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 1:18am
post #5 of 14

I concur with Mamawrobin on this one. I have a couple of chocolate butter creams, and all use melted chocolate even if the recipe also called for cocoa powder. Never had the problem you described.

LindaF144a Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 1:20am
post #6 of 14

Which buttercream are you talking about. Indydeb's, SMBC, IMBC, American buttercream?

I add melted chocolate to my buttercream all the time. I won't serve SMBC without at least white chocolate in it. There is something else going on here, but it is hard to tell without knowing which buttercream you used.

Karen_uk1 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 1:37am
post #7 of 14

Hi to all , thank you for your comments, if you read my previous posts you will see my recipe, that is all the ingredients used. I have always made my own and never used store bought. No milk just the sugar and butter, very typically English, for chocolate butter cream we use cocoa.
Would be great if you could post me a fail safe choc butter cream recipe using melted chocolate. Many thanks in advance.

mamawrobin Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 2:36am
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen_uk1

Hi to all , thank you for your comments, if you read my previous posts you will see my recipe, that is all the ingredients used. I have always made my own and never used store bought. No milk just the sugar and butter, very typically English, for chocolate butter cream we use cocoa.
Would be great if you could post me a fail safe choc butter cream recipe using melted chocolate. Many thanks in advance.




I use Indydebi's buttercream recipe. You can find her recipe in the 'most saved' recipes here on cc. After the icing is made I add 6 to 8 ounces of UNsweetened chocolate baking squares..melted and cooled...but still pourable . I add about a teaspoon of milk at a time until I have the right consistency. I never measure how much milk that I use... I just keep adding until it "looks right".

Indydebi's recipe is an all shortening based buttercream...you can use the same method in an all butter buttercream recipe as well. It's just that when you add melted chocolate you also have to add milk to the icing because the chocolate thickens the icing..

Welcome to cc...looking forward to 'seeing' you around thumbs_up.gif

Karen_uk1 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 3:14am
post #9 of 14

Thank you so much for taking the time for me, I have only started decorating cakes a couple of months ago. I will certainly look at the recipe suggested. Your cakes are amazing. Thanks again.

carrywilsonhome Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 3:39am
post #10 of 14

Oh let's start you out right then. Try a meringue style buttercream with melted (cooled) couverture chocolate. Very sinful. I just moved back to the states from the UK awhile back and I converted several gals over there too.

mamawrobin Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 3:59am
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrywilsonhome

Oh let's start you out right then. Try a meringue style buttercream with melted (cooled) couverture chocolate. Very sinful. I just moved back to the states from the UK awhile back and I converted several gals over there too.




My favorite is The Well Dressed Cake's SMBC with melted white chocolate...yummy icon_wink.gif

Welcome to cc as well...carrywilsonhome...I see that you are a 'newbie' as well...looking forward to 'seeing' you around thumbs_up.gif

carrywilsonhome Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 4:05am
post #12 of 14

Newbie to the board only. Thanks!

mamawrobin Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 5:18am
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrywilsonhome

Newbie to the board only. Thanks!




I was referring to the 'board only' icon_wink.gif since you've converted several to couverture chocolate and meringue style buttercream I certainly didn't think you were a 'newbie' to caking.

Karen_uk1 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 9:26pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrywilsonhome

Oh let's start you out right then. Try a meringue style buttercream with melted (cooled) couverture chocolate. Very sinful. I just moved back to the states from the UK awhile back and I converted several gals over there too.




Thank you, will try this aswell.
This site is great and you are all so helpfu. I look forward to trying more and more recipes and seeking advice, hope that's ok.xl

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%