How Do I Make An Ornate Picture Frame That Is Edible?

Decorating By blueirus Updated 28 Jul 2010 , 10:19pm by strathmore

blueirus Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 6:25am
post #1 of 10

I would like to make gold picture frames to go around a cake. I am planning on using edible images but can't come up with a good way to make the frames. I kind of want them to look like the ornate old fashion frames. Any ideas?

9 replies
JGMB Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 12:58pm
post #3 of 10

My DH just bought me the book Cake Art by the Culinary Institute of America. They make a beautiful silhouette in a frame, sitting on a picture stand. All of it is of chocolate -- dark, white and milk for contrast. They just melt it and pipe it right into the top of a rectangular, clear plastic take-out container.

If I knew how to scan, I'd give you the photos and directions.

blueirus Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 6:04pm
post #4 of 10

Thanks for the suggestions. The cake is for my Grandma and I won't have time to order a mold, I may try the plastic idea. I am a little unsure how to do it but am ok with experimenting =)

Dreme Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 6:17pm
post #5 of 10

I have a few frame molds I made myself. I got a few small picture frames and molded them using the amazing putty they have at micheals. When its molded I just cut the center out.

Rusti Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 6:58pm
post #6 of 10

you can purchase clear chocolate frame molds for a couple dollars at a number of places on the internet including amazon. You can use them with chocolate or with 50/50. They work great and are much cheaper. I have 3.
If you use them with gumpaste/fondant be sure to lightly grease the mold first or the details with make them hard to get out. icon_biggrin.gif

TexasSugar Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 7:24pm
post #7 of 10

What about using gumpaste for the shape of it, then piping royal icing on it to build up the details then paint it all gold?

LaSombra Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 7:24pm
post #8 of 10

another option might be to use royal icing like how you make a tiara... and then set it on top of the cake after it's all dry. I don't know how much time you have, though.

DianeLM Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 7:40pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreme

I have a few frame molds I made myself. I got a few small picture frames and molded them using the amazing putty they have at micheals. When its molded I just cut the center out.

If you're not keen on the putty, you can actually use Play Doh or fondant to make a temporary mold. Just press the frame into the Play Doh or fondant and let it dry for about a day. You can then pour melted chocolate into it.

strathmore Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 10:19pm
post #10 of 10

I also saw on a tv programme a chocolate artist gently impressed an ornate frame into a tray of smoothed out flour and poured the chocolate straight into that when set pulled it out and assembled the 4 sides.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%