Bettercreme With A Stacked Cake?

Decorating By bakin4u_N_lovinit Updated 11 Aug 2010 , 9:34pm by bakin4u_N_lovinit

bakin4u_N_lovinit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakin4u_N_lovinit Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 3:16am
post #1 of 12

I am making a wedding cake that will be 4 tiers high with 3 inch pillars in between each one,the bride wants it in bettercreme and it has the scroll work on it (attached pic) also some blue roses on there..... will the cake be ok?
She wants a less sweet cake, I usually use the Wilton Decorator icing and she says that is too sweet if not bettercreme what should I use so it isnt so sweet ?.....PLEASE HELP icon_cry.gif
LL

11 replies
JuneHawk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JuneHawk Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 3:32am
post #2 of 12

Not all buttercream is the same. Buttercream with straight butter and sugar is sickly sweet but you can make swiss meringue buttercream, or other european style buttercreams, which is far less sweet. The scrolls look like piping so they should be fine with buttercream.

bakin4u_N_lovinit Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 4:32am
post #3 of 12

i wouldnt be doing the cake in fondant like it shows i would be doing the whole thing in whatever frosting is decided so there would be a border of shells around the top also along with some roses here and there

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 4:48am
post #4 of 12

Bettercream is different than buttercream. Swiss meringue buttercream is more like bettercream, but Bettercream is made from oil instead of shortening. I think it is harder to work w/because of the airholes in it from beating it. Maybe there is someone who has worked with it more that can help more. Swiss meringue buttercream tastes better in my opinion because it doesn't have a funny aftertaste. Just my opinion. Use hi ratio shortening, a dash or two of salt, and a small amount of lemon juice to cut the sweetness of buttercream.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 5:08am
post #5 of 12

The main part of this cake is Frostin Pride which is just like Bettercreme. http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1686079It's a non dairy frosting that you whip. Since you are planning on making a white frosted cake it will be easier than what I had to do. I had to purchase a large bowl with a lid and mix all of the cartons of frosting and gel color until I achieved the light blue. When working with non dairy frosting it is best to whip up several batches. The more you mix or work with the frosting it will firm up and be difficult to work with. By mixing the liquid and color my cakes were uniform in color. Try not to over mix the frosting. What I tell people when they request this frosting is I can fill and frost the cakes with the frosting but for decorations such as scroll work or borders I use butter cream. It's more difficult to smooth so I would purchase a carton and try it out on a demo cake. This way you can get the feel of how the product works. Sam's club sells a premixed bucket of Bettercream for under 20.00 otherwise I have to pay 5.00 a quart. I would not recommend it for scroll work.

sweettreat101 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 5:13am
post #6 of 12

Forgot to add. I frost the tops of the cakes in a crusting butter cream because when you remove top tiers or plates the non dairy frosting sticks to the plates and you are left with no frosting on the top of the cake. So scroll work and top butter cream sides or fillings Bettercreme.

auntiecake Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 5:30am
post #7 of 12

sweettreat101 does it stick if you use parchment paper or jimmies between the cake (or both)? I know it is very sticky after it sits and has alot of air in it which makes it hard to decorate with. When I used it (only about 3 times and not by choice) I beat it w/my spatula to get the air bubbles out before I put it in the bag to do my border and it helped a lot. Before I did that the border (#10 tip) was not consistent and I did it over. It does work to freeze it also, but it is so full of air. ugh!

sweettreat101 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 5:46am
post #8 of 12

I use my flat paddle to whip not the whisk. The whisk adds to much air. The trick is to whip slowly for a long time. I mean a long time. You can speed it up towards the end. It also helps to use a chilled bowl and paddle. It takes at least thirty minutes to mix a batch. You need to make sure that you don't over beat the frosting or it's like trying to frost a cake in whipped butter with little air bubbles. Yes it even sticks with parchment paper. It's just like frosting a cake in whipped cream everything sticks to it. That's why I use butter cream between tiers or plates.

sweettreat101 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 5:51am
post #9 of 12

My brother wanted his three tiered wedding cake frosted in whipped frosting and I put my foot down and told him that if I used whipped frosting I wouldn't be able to do the stencil work on the sides. They opted for butter cream and ate the entire cake by the end of the night. His bride doesn't like cake or butter cream but she didn't have any problems woofing it down. LOL. First they wanted whipped frosting on angel food cake with fresh strawberries which I told him it wasn't going to happen. Why do family members have to be so difficult? This cake was a free bee of course so they ended up with the large layer with fresh strawberries and the other two with a vanilla mousse. It's hard to say no but there is just so much you can do with whipped frosting. I hate working with it.

auntiecake Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 6:19am
post #10 of 12

Bettercream reminds me of Seven Minute frosting. Water and sugar boiled to a thread and then whipped into beaten egg whites til it reaches a peak. Not a stable frosing at all and very sticky after it sits for a while on a cake. No fat though. Not good for decorating!

JuneHawk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JuneHawk Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 1:01pm
post #11 of 12

Well, I feel really stupid now. I didn't know there was such a thing as bettercreme LOL. I thought the OP meant buttercream.

bakin4u_N_lovinit Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 9:34pm
post #12 of 12

ok thank you guys for all your help i think i may have her talked into fondant and Indideb's buttercream recipe THANK GOD and if she dont like it she isnt going to be eating that much of it anyways right?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%