Carving Marble Cake?

Decorating By Ghoulie Updated 27 Jul 2010 , 6:25pm by Ghoulie

Ghoulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ghoulie Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 3:20pm
post #1 of 3

Has anyone had experience with carving a marble cake and covering it in fondant?

My boyfriend really wants a XBOX 360 cake for his birthday this weekend and I was going to use pound cake since I know it will hold up, but he really wants marble... wondering if it would be sturdy enough to survive lots of carving and plenty of fondant application. Maybe I can just make a pound cake as usual and swirl some chocolate in? He said he prefers marble cakes that don't have too much chocolate, anyway. Hmmmm...

What do you guys think? I've never carved or put fondant on marble cake before. When I first started out I carved a moist chocolate cake and covered it in fondant and it practically collapsed! It looked terrible and I absolutely can't have something like that happen with such an important birthday cake.

Thank you! icon_smile.gif

2 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 3:38pm
post #2 of 3

Marble cake is no different than white pound cake just chocolate swirls...I saw them carving Marble pound cake on Fabulous cakes episode last night.Pound cake is much sturdier than a regular moist cake and can take the weight of fondant.There might be a recipe here in the recipe section for pound cake...do a search..If not google and find one!

Ghoulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ghoulie Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 6:25pm
post #3 of 3

Awesome, thanks! I feel much better about attempting this now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%