Pineapple Upside Down Cake Under Fondant?

Decorating By scoutmamma Updated 27 Jul 2010 , 4:07pm by scoutmamma

scoutmamma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoutmamma Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 2:02pm
post #1 of 6

ok, i had this wacky idea to use a pineapple upside down cake under fondant for a birthday cake... yet, i have this nagging notion that it will wind up as a disaster... any thoughts?

5 replies
cakegroove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegroove Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 2:15pm
post #2 of 6

I'm not sure ANY type of icing on a pineapple upside down cake sounds enticing, but that is only my opinion.

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 2:36pm
post #3 of 6

Uggg I would think that as sticky as pineapple upside down cakes get they would make the fondant tacky and nasty. Doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

scoutmamma Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 3:19pm
post #4 of 6

ok, i will clarify... because as it stands, it does sound kinda dingy... i would make the cake and use the cake side as the side with the fondant... it wouldnt be an upside down i guess... i would flip it out of the pan and then onto the cake board with the gooey side down... i just didnt know if it would sink... does that help?

SHADDI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHADDI Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 4:03pm
post #5 of 6

I've seen Paula Dean do a 2 layer upside down pineapple cake.
What she did was make 2 pineapple cake and stack it on top of each other.
but i was thinking was instead of doing 2 make one with the pineapple and one plain and once they are cooled off you stack them. The cake with the pineapple would be the one on the bottom so that the pineapple is your filling for the cake. and that way it doesn't touch the fondant. Ive always wanted to give this a try but haven't had an excuse to make it.

If you give it a try let us know how it came out, Photos would be great.

hope that helps.

scoutmamma Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 4:07pm
post #6 of 6

I found a recipe for Caramel Apple upsidedown cake... and i am going to do pineapple for the bottom of a 2 tier, and caramel apple for the top layer... so i was looking for pointers... i am going to post the recipe for the caramel apple one in my recipes... Thanks for all the advice, i will post... its for a family party, so i get to eat some too!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%