Apple Pie Groom's.....pie

Lounge By sweet_T7 Updated 28 Jul 2010 , 7:26pm by Doug

sweet_T7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_T7 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 11:30pm
post #1 of 10

My sweet bride has decided she wants apple pie instead of a grooms cake because he doesn't like cake. I need to make up 20 servings for this. What is the best way to go about it?
I know, 20 servings? lol maybe more than 20 of her guests will opt for pie instead of cake, but---20 servings it is!
My question is..how do a make a nice presentation out of this? The wedding cake is simple, with butterflies so I thought I'd add a butterfly or two on top...But does anyone have any suggestions? Do I just do pie pans? Can I present it in a sheet cake pan--or what?? I'd sure appreciate some help here..thanx a bunch!

9 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 11:59pm
post #2 of 10

I would just do pie pans...you could use a butterfly cookie cutter to make designs on the top crust, to tie in with the butterflies on the wedding cake.

I wonder if the bride has seen the movie American Pie? icon_biggrin.gif

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 12:08am
post #3 of 10

Just a thought, but what about doing individual pies in a muffin pan or do them like a turnover. Good luck!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 12:18am
post #4 of 10

ok...

that will be 3 pies at 8 servings a for a regular 9" pie for a total of 24 servings.

(i always do 10" deep dish, there you could get 10 servings to a pie)

(and if I were at a wedding and had a choice of cake or pie -- PIE!)

I'd do a fancy lattice top for the pie like this with the squiggle edges
http://firstlookthencook.wordpress.com/2009/11/26/old-fashioned-lattice-top-apple-pie/

then as suggested already, use cookie cutters to make pastry butterflies for the top.
--

another option:

rustic top like this:
http://www.wandaspieinthesky.com/images/rustic_apple_pie.jpg

and in center put pastry butterfly

---

yet another option:

just butterflies for the top crust
(here concept shown as stars)
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b314/Ckarlakova/firstpost062.jpg

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 12:31am
post #5 of 10

I had a groom who wanted apple pie too! I made the pie and then put a fondant drape across it with a special message for the groom from his bride written on it. Sorry I don't have a picture... but just thought I'd mention that you can use fondant for an accent too!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 4:02am
post #6 of 10

Williams Sonoma has an $8.00 tool that makes individual pies.

cakesbymindysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymindysue Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 5:30am
post #7 of 10

Just want to throw this out there. You mentioned putting butterflies on the pies to tie in with the wedding cake. If this were a traditional groom's cake, would you be putting butterflies on it? Not trying to be a smarty pants, but if you wouldn't put the butterflies on the groom's cake, why would you put them on the groom's pie? I'd find out what he's interested in then use that. If he likes football then do football cut-outs, if it's baseball then baseball cut-outs.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 8:22am
post #8 of 10

I predict a stampede at the groom's pie table and the pie will be gone in 10 seconds flat. icon_biggrin.gif

sweet_T7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_T7 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 2:49pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks all....!!!! icon_smile.gif Some really good suggestions here and I appreciate all of your responses..

True about putting Butterflies on it---hadn't thought of that--duh. This is HIS ... pie good point

So the grooms cake was going to have a fishing theme... can't see 'fishy' with apple pie tho lol

thanks again==
you are all the greatest! icon_biggrin.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 7:26pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_T7

Thanks all....!!!! icon_smile.gif Some really good suggestions here and I appreciate all of your responses..

True about putting Butterflies on it---hadn't thought of that--duh. This is HIS ... pie good point

So the grooms cake was going to have a fishing theme... can't see 'fishy' with apple pie tho lol

thanks again==
you are all the greatest! icon_biggrin.gif

the apples are the bobbers on the fishing line.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%