Cake Condensation Problems

Decorating By cakegroove Updated 27 Jul 2010 , 1:16pm by ddaigle

cakegroove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegroove Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 4:58pm
post #1 of 8

Over the weekend I did a test on how long it would take for the stickiness on top of my cake to go away. I baked the cake Saturday afternoon. Left it lay out on my kitchen counter uncovered. I checked it all day, and checked it all day Sunday until about 7pm I went to throw it into my food processor to make cake balls with. The top of it was still somewhat sticky. I also have this problem when I wrap my cakes or cover them with wax paper.

Maybe this is a humidity thing with the summer, despite the fact that I have my thermostat set so the house is very cool. I'm not sure?

Do you have cake condensation issues?

7 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 9:13pm
post #2 of 8

Hi there,

Not quite following your process. The way it reads is that you baked your cakes, set them out to cool and left them there all day? Did you crumbcoat them?

I bake, cool, level, torte then wrap and freeze for at least overnight. Then the next day unwrap, fill, crumbcoat then let settle/come to room temp for at least 3 hours before the final layer of either BC or fondant goes on. No problems with stickiness this way.

Cat

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 11:20pm
post #3 of 8

What kind of cake were you making? Do you normally experience some "stickiness" when they come out of the oven?

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 12:47am
post #4 of 8

I would also like to know what area you are in? icon_lol.gif

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 12:57am
post #5 of 8

you're not crazy, i know what you're talking about. so last sunday, i baked some cupcakes. after they cooled, i put them in a deep, large aluminum tray so i could transport them to my MIL house. I had put a sheet of wax paper on top of them, then covered the whole tray with foil for safe keeping. A couple hours later, i was ready to ice them, so i removed the coverings. the cuppy tops were stuck to the wax paper. removing the wax paper ripped of a little of the cake too. i've had this happen before, but never questioned it.

Jen80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jen80 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 1:43am
post #6 of 8

I'd say the stickyness on top of the cake is because of the type of cake you have made. It happens to me too, depending on what type of cake I have made. It seems to happen more with box mixes rather than scratch cakes with me. I think it could be the sugar content.

Did you know that some body waxes (hair removal wax) are made from sugar? I'm thinking there could be a link here icon_lol.gif

cakegroove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegroove Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 12:54pm
post #7 of 8

catlharper: I do not tort all of my cakes. I also do not freeze my cakes nor do I put them in the fridge. I don't have the space for either. I typically bake one day and decorate the next. It's during the cooling process that the stickiness occurs on top. ONLY the top. I want to cover them between day one and day two but that makes MORE condensation on top of the cake.

JulieMN/Jen80: I typically get this problem with WASC cakes or a straight box mix (like was used for my cake pops the other day). You are right, this does not happen with my scratch cakes at all. Good observation and I think you may be right!

step0nmi: I'm in Ohio

I've just been dealing with it thus far, but I always wonder what it does to the cake underneath. Maybe I won't worry about it. And maybe I'll quit using a box starter

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 1:16pm
post #8 of 8

I had sticky cake tops when I used the WASC recipe WITH oil. I have changed to the *original* WASC recipe that does not call for oil, and for some reason...my tops are coming out dry.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%