Cake Condensation Problems

Decorating By cakegroove Updated 27 Jul 2010 , 1:16pm by ddaigle

cakegroove Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 4:58pm
post #1 of 8

Over the weekend I did a test on how long it would take for the stickiness on top of my cake to go away. I baked the cake Saturday afternoon. Left it lay out on my kitchen counter uncovered. I checked it all day, and checked it all day Sunday until about 7pm I went to throw it into my food processor to make cake balls with. The top of it was still somewhat sticky. I also have this problem when I wrap my cakes or cover them with wax paper.

Maybe this is a humidity thing with the summer, despite the fact that I have my thermostat set so the house is very cool. I'm not sure?

Do you have cake condensation issues?

7 replies
catlharper Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 9:13pm
post #2 of 8

Hi there,

Not quite following your process. The way it reads is that you baked your cakes, set them out to cool and left them there all day? Did you crumbcoat them?

I bake, cool, level, torte then wrap and freeze for at least overnight. Then the next day unwrap, fill, crumbcoat then let settle/come to room temp for at least 3 hours before the final layer of either BC or fondant goes on. No problems with stickiness this way.

Cat

JulieMN Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 11:20pm
post #3 of 8

What kind of cake were you making? Do you normally experience some "stickiness" when they come out of the oven?

step0nmi Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 12:47am
post #4 of 8

I would also like to know what area you are in? icon_lol.gif

metria Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 12:57am
post #5 of 8

you're not crazy, i know what you're talking about. so last sunday, i baked some cupcakes. after they cooled, i put them in a deep, large aluminum tray so i could transport them to my MIL house. I had put a sheet of wax paper on top of them, then covered the whole tray with foil for safe keeping. A couple hours later, i was ready to ice them, so i removed the coverings. the cuppy tops were stuck to the wax paper. removing the wax paper ripped of a little of the cake too. i've had this happen before, but never questioned it.

Jen80 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 1:43am
post #6 of 8

I'd say the stickyness on top of the cake is because of the type of cake you have made. It happens to me too, depending on what type of cake I have made. It seems to happen more with box mixes rather than scratch cakes with me. I think it could be the sugar content.

Did you know that some body waxes (hair removal wax) are made from sugar? I'm thinking there could be a link here icon_lol.gif

cakegroove Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 12:54pm
post #7 of 8

catlharper: I do not tort all of my cakes. I also do not freeze my cakes nor do I put them in the fridge. I don't have the space for either. I typically bake one day and decorate the next. It's during the cooling process that the stickiness occurs on top. ONLY the top. I want to cover them between day one and day two but that makes MORE condensation on top of the cake.

JulieMN/Jen80: I typically get this problem with WASC cakes or a straight box mix (like was used for my cake pops the other day). You are right, this does not happen with my scratch cakes at all. Good observation and I think you may be right!

step0nmi: I'm in Ohio

I've just been dealing with it thus far, but I always wonder what it does to the cake underneath. Maybe I won't worry about it. And maybe I'll quit using a box starter

ddaigle Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 1:16pm
post #8 of 8

I had sticky cake tops when I used the WASC recipe WITH oil. I have changed to the *original* WASC recipe that does not call for oil, and for some reason...my tops are coming out dry.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%