Making A 3D Duffel Bag

Decorating By BrendaLeigh Updated 31 Jul 2010 , 7:48pm by BrendaLeigh

BrendaLeigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrendaLeigh Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 12:03am
post #1 of 3

Trying to make a duffel bag with like stuff hanging out of it. I want to make it look like, well real. You know how you are in the gym and go through your bag in a hurry so then your shirt, towel or sock sort of hang out. How would I go about doing that to make it look real not like cake? Please help. icon_eek.gif

2 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 12:18am
post #2 of 3

I would make the cake the shape of the duffel bag including any lumps and bumps you desire, and the wider part at the top that would be "open".

Then, cover the bag in buttercream of course....

Then, cover it in a thin layer of whatever color fondant you want the inside to be (probably black, or same color as outside.)

Then, cut panels of fondant for the ends and sides, making sure that you cut enough to stick up as the "sides" of the bag that are "open" and if you have to, prop the sides and stuff with paper towels until it stands on its own...adding Tylose powder might help with this as well. You can make the seams into stitching and small rolled fondant "snakes" since most duffel bags have end pieces anyway that are separated by seams of some sort.

Then of course you can add all the stuff spilling out however you like.

It might make the structure even easier if you have one side of the bag kinda low to the board, with the stuff spilling out sideways...as if someone had thrown their gym bag on the floor with the opening sort of facing you instead of facing upward.

Its so hard to describe what is in my head. icon_smile.gif

The biggest key is covering the cake in a thin layer of fondant...and then building the outside of the bag around the fondant covered cake. Its how I do purse cakes.

BrendaLeigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrendaLeigh Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 7:48pm
post #3 of 3

thank you I will try that. we will see how it turns out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%