Duncan Hines Cake For Carving?

Decorating By sweetnessx3 Updated 27 Jul 2010 , 4:56am by Geechigirl

sweetnessx3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetnessx3 Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 10:13pm
post #1 of 12

Is there a certain cake recipe thats best for carving a shaped cake ? I use DH mixes and I made a Mickey mouse clubhouse cake last week and when carving it , I had lots of breaking and crumbling icon_sad.gif . Im making Thomas the train this weekend and dont have the 3d pan for it . Just wondering if anyone else carves with DH Cakes? Also , is there a certain rice krispie recipe used for sculpting ? Thank you CCers icon_smile.gif Sorry for such a long question.

11 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 10:17pm
post #2 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetnessx3

Is there a certain cake recipe thats best for carving a shaped cake ? I use DH mixes and I made a Mickey mouse clubhouse cake last week and when carving it , I had lots of breaking and crumbling icon_sad.gif . Im making Thomas the train this weekend and dont have the 3d pan for it . Just wondering if anyone else carves with DH Cakes? Also , is there a certain rice krispie recipe used for sculpting ? Thank you CCers icon_smile.gif Sorry for such a long question.

I use DH cake mix also. I use the 3D/Wedding Cake recipe found in 'most saved' recipes here on cc. I use DH for all of my cakes.

For rice krispies..I use the recipe on the box but I do put the rice krispies in a zip lock baggie and use my rolling pin to crush them as fine as possible. That way when I cover with fondant they have a smoother fini
sh.

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 10:20pm
post #3 of 12

I've only done two carved/sculpted cakes thus far, and both times I used the original WASC recipe:
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe

No crumbling, no mess, no breaking. thumbs_up.gif

As for RKT - just use the regular recipe. I like to mix in some melted white chocolate to make them firmer, though I've seen that some folks reduce the amount of marshmallow as well. Then again, some people buy the premade ones and use those as-is with great results. I'd suggest you try a couple different options to see what works best for you.

sweetnessx3 Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 10:27pm
post #4 of 12

I love my CCer's Thank you soooo much icon_smile.gif

iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 12:30am
post #5 of 12

I use an enhanced DH recipe. It is moist, but has a dense crumb which holds up well for carving.

DH mix (any flavor except butter-flavor yellow)
4 large eggs
1 C whole milk
1/2 C butter, melted
1 T vanilla

have your ingredients at room temp
mix on low speed until moistened, then on med/high speed for 3 1/2 minutes

HTH icon_smile.gif

sweetnessx3 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 1:47am
post #6 of 12

Will this also work with chocolate ? Its funny it said except butter flavor lol! Thats the one I always grab ! Cant wait to try this Thank you !!!

iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 2:01am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetnessx3

Will this also work with chocolate ? Its funny it said except butter flavor lol! Thats the one I always grab ! Cant wait to try this Thank you !!!

Yes it does. I sometimes substitute 1/4 cup strong cooled coffee for some of the milk, and always bake at a slightly lower temp when I'm making a chocolate cake.
It really is weird about the butter-flavor DH mix...it never turns out well for me - always is gooey and won't rise, don't know why, but I've given up trying!

kimbordeaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbordeaux Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 2:01am
post #8 of 12

This is the chocolate recipe I use for carved cakes. Its been pretty sturdy and everyone loves the taste. I'm looking for good pound cake recipes though for my carved cakes.

2 boxes Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge cake mix
2 2/3 c. strong cool coffee
1/2 c. vegetable oil
6 large or extra large eggs
16 oz. sour cream
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp vanilla extract

millicente Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millicente Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 4:36pm
post #9 of 12

Thanks....I'm going to try 1 this week. every time I use the dh white mix with just egg whites...if never fails to fall apart when carving.Does anyone have a white cake recipe you can carve?

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 1:47am
post #10 of 12

I use the regular rice crispy recipe minus a little of the shortening to make it more sticky and stable. I don't smash the cereal because I tried it once and was not a stable or easy to work with. I put a layer of butter cream over the sculpted piece before covering with fondant. I have a Thomas cake in my photos. The trains were made of RKT.

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 1:59am
post #11 of 12

I always use DH. Devils food is best for carving. I always follow the recipe on the box and whip it for about 3 - 4 minutes on high in my kitchen aide, bake at 350. I freeze then pull out when I am ready to use it. Thaws quickly, but I carve while it is still a little frozen. Always moist and delicious and easy to use.

As far as RKT I use one large box, not the family size box. Sorry not sure of the ounces and one big bag of mini marshmallows, 1 tbs of melted butter. Melt mellows and butter and pour on RK. Easy peasy. I cover my RKT in melted white chocolate after it is sculpted. Makes it super sturdy. Buttercream and fondant come out smooth.

Geechigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Geechigirl Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 4:56am
post #12 of 12

I use DH for all of my cakes. Of course, I had to tweek the recipe.

Chocolate
1 DH mix
4 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1 1/4 cup water
1/2 box pudding
1/3 cup all purpose flour

All other flavors
1 DH mix
4 eggs
1/3 cup oil
1 cup water