Would This Design/pattern Look Odd?

Decorating By stacyd Updated 26 Jul 2010 , 8:03am by tinygoose

stacyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacyd Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 9:38pm
post #1 of 7

My coworker made me a topsy turvy stand and I would like to try it for my daughter's 15th birthday cake. I was thinking of doing a cake w/ zebra stripes but she likes chocolate cake w/ chocolate icing. Would zebra stripes look weird on chocolate? Would it be better if I did the zebra pattern but maybe in a color on chocolate? Any suggestions appreciated!

Thanks

6 replies
Moondance Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moondance Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 10:05pm
post #2 of 7

what about yellow stripes on chocolate icing? Like a tiger print??

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 10:08pm
post #3 of 7

How about torting the cake so it has lots of layers of chocolate icing inside. Then, you can decorate the outside black and white.

mamakasst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamakasst Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 10:09pm
post #4 of 7

Could you make the zebra stripes out of white chocolate or white fondant? It could be a brown zebra with white stripes. You could also add a bit of black food coloring to the chocolate frosting to make it black. I don't know if she is a fan of pink and glitter but pink and brown are a very hot thing right now. You could do pink glitter stripes! Let us know how it turns out!

Jen80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jen80 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 6:38am
post #5 of 7

If you're using fondant, maybe you could try some white chocolate fondant for the base and some brown chocolate fondant coloured black for the stripes?

Or for buttercream, I like mamakassts' idea: Pink glitter stripes on Chocolate!

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 7:32am
post #6 of 7

for any chocolate icing you want to look black, start with Hershey's special dark cocoa powder. A friend of mine does, and w/o even adding any black food coloring, she gets a fabulously dark black-looking icing. If you didn't think it was quite black enough, at least you'd only need a little black coloring, rather than a lot if you started w/ plain white icing, and so you wouldn't have to deal with such a bitter, chemically taste.

Here's a link to a couple of posts on her blog about it with pictures:

http://cakeideas.blogspot.com/search/label/Hershey%27s%20Special%20Dark%20cocoa

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 8:03am
post #7 of 7

Pink and brown look great together too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%