Need To Freeze My Cakes. Have 4 Orders In One Weekend...is

Decorating By CraveBakery Updated 23 Jul 2010 , 4:45pm by jewels710

CraveBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CraveBakery Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 12:01pm
post #1 of 5

that crazy? I think if I plan proper and bake ahead, I should be able to get it done right icon_confused.gif ????

I have read on here about freezing. I think that would help, if I could freeze all of my cakes before they are due. (Like a week in advance) or is that to far ahead? These cakes are due on Aug 7th. So I was thinking of freezing my cakes, and working on ALL the gum paste and Fondant parts this week and next. If I finish all my cakes the day before they are do (if they are wrapped in fondant, do I refrigerate them? If they are crumb coated, do I do that after the cake is thawed out....I have so many questions!!! Not to mention where all these cakes are going to go in my freezer and frig!

4 replies
LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 12:12pm
post #2 of 5

Cakes generally last 2 months in the freezer, though it can depend on recipe. Freezing adds moisture to the cake.

Refrigerating fondant is a no no. You need to make sure the cake is thawed out to room temperature before you cover with fondant as if it is still cold/frozen you will get problems with condensation on your cake. You can crumb coat and put that in the fridge so long as it is room temp when you fondant.

HaydenSC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HaydenSC Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 12:16pm
post #3 of 5

If you cover the fondant covered cakes, you can refrigerate them. We do it all the time with them stored in cardboard boxes. Wait until they are defrosted (in the refrigerator) to decorate them. Happy decorating

CraveBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CraveBakery Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 2:14pm
post #4 of 5

I'm using a moist deluxe recipe. I haven't had the time to create my own, or research.

So, I can make my cakes 1-2 weeks ahead of time, and freeze them. Shape and crumb coat while defrosting, and put them in the refrigerator until I'm ready for fondant and decorations.

Does it matter if it's a chocolate cake?

Do I let them defrost in the plastic wrap?

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 4:45pm
post #5 of 5

I have myself in the same situation for the same weekend...Had three cakes booked...one Sat, two due Sun...ok no prob, then had a last minute request that I figured was small enough to "squeeze" in, then had someone tell me that they had to move their date up for personal family reasons...and yes, its moved to that sat also. (I know those folks and they are friends so I am not saying no, they give me a lot of business).
So within three days I have two sheet cakes, two 3-tier cakes and a shoebox cake...I also have a 3-tier due a few days prior that I had already planned on.
Needless to say, I plan on baking my bum off this weekend and maybe even getting a jump start on some of the BC and MMF. After that its just frost and decorate close to the due dates.
I am sitting here now making my org chart...what each cake needs and to do each day.
As long as you organize yourslef you can do it!!

Oh yes...I work FT and have 5 kids. It can be done.
Good Luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%