Help - My Icing Shows Through My Fondant

Decorating By bbcakescreations Updated 22 Jul 2010 , 5:57pm by mamawrobin

bbcakescreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbcakescreations Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 4:51pm
post #1 of 9

Hello bakers,

Please help..whenever I place fondant on my cakes little icing ridges come through, why is this happening and how can I get it to stop?

I used a crusting buttercream and before this the cake looked fantastic..put the blue fondant on and whamo.

Help please!
LL

8 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 4:54pm
post #2 of 9

It looks like you're not letting your cakes settle. Here you go: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-633571-newest.html+trick

Spectra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spectra Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 5:00pm
post #3 of 9

It's true! Mine did the exact same thing, but now I let them settle, covered but filled, at room temp for about 8 hours and I've never had that problem anymore.

bbcakescreations Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 5:04pm
post #4 of 9

Wow leah_S, you really do deserve those 5 stars..thanks for the quick reply...I didn't even have a chance to move my Q to the approprate section on the site icon_smile.gif

I'm off to rumage around for a ceramic tile...one last question, what is a BC dam?

leah_s Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 5:05pm
post #5 of 9

BC = ButterCream

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 5:14pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcakescreations

I'm off to rumage around for a ceramic tile...one last question, what is a BC dam?

To make my bc dam..I add powdered sugar to some of my buttercream until I can roll it in my hands. I actully roll it in my hands to make my dam. That way I'm sure that none of my fillings escape icon_lol.gif

bbcakescreations Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 5:22pm
post #7 of 9

LOL! No no, not BC, the dam..I read that in the answers to your post, someone was using a BC dam.
Also, I let my cake settle in the fridge for 24 hours last time and the ridge still formed.
Here I the steps I went through: baked cake on Wednesday put in fridge overnight
Levelled and crumbcoated on Thursday...2 hours later added crusting buttercream all over.
Friday, covered in Fondant and decorate...
Am I doing this wrong? I have a day job so only have the evenings to work with.

thanks again icon_smile.gif

leah_s Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 5:49pm
post #8 of 9

Yes, blake you're doing it wrong. The cake will NOT settle in the fridge. The cold firms everything up, so no settling can occur. And the weight really does help.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 5:57pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcakescreations

LOL! No no, not BC, the dam..I read that in the answers to your post, someone was using a BC dam.
Also, I let my cake settle in the fridge for 24 hours last time and the ridge still formed.
Here I the steps I went through: baked cake on Wednesday put in fridge overnight
Levelled and crumbcoated on Thursday...2 hours later added crusting buttercream all over.
Friday, covered in Fondant and decorate...
Am I doing this wrong? I have a day job so only have the evenings to work with.

thanks again icon_smile.gif

I agree with Leah_s...no refrigeration. once I bake, level and fill my cake I wrap in plastic wrap and put the weight on top. I allow it to rest for a few hours....before crumbcoating. Once this is done you can ice and cover with fondant whenever. You want your filling to settle before crumbcoating (I do anyway) so that if you need to remove any excess filling you can do so w/o disturbing your icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%