A Few More ?'s

Decorating By bluerose26 Updated 21 Jul 2010 , 5:59pm by indydebi

bluerose26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluerose26 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 4:03pm
post #1 of 12

Do you use a thin layer of buttercream icing to crumb coat a cake?

How long do you freeze a cake for (after baking, cooling, and wrapping it)?

How long do u let it unthaw before icing it?

Do you crumb coat before freezing it? then unthaw and ice with buttercream then put then fondant on it before the buttercream hardens?

Can you get the smooth look on a cake (like the one in my photo) using only buttercream?

What do you prefer to use to smooth buttercream?

After I ice with buttercream how long do i have to let my cake set before i decorate it? (w/o it falling apart)

When everyone made their 1st "fancy" looking cake, did you do a practice cake 1st?

How much buttercream would it take to cover the cake in my photo?

Thanks in advance to any1 who answers, Im new to using buttercream and fondant

11 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 4:21pm
post #2 of 12
Quote:
Quote:

I use the same icing that I use to ice a cake. I don't thin it down. I just put it on thinner.

Quote:
Quote:

I like it to freeze at least 4 hours and prefer overnight.

Quote:
Quote:

Cakes don't take long to thaw to a workable state. Anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes, depending on the size of the cake.

Quote:
Quote:

Do you crumb coat before freezing it?

No.

Quote:
Quote:

then unthaw and ice with buttercream then put then fondant on it before the buttercream hardens?

I dont' worry about whether the BC crusts or not. I havent' found that it makes a difference one way or another.

Quote:
Quote:

Can you get the smooth look on a cake (like the one in my photo) using only buttercream?

Didn't look at the photo before I flipped to this response screen, but many bakers can get a fondant-smooth look with BC. There is a very affluent bakery in my town that advertises this. (And she can do it, too.)

Quote:
Quote:

Bench scraper and Melvira method.

Quote:
Quote:

After I ice with buttercream how long do i have to let my cake set before i decorate it? (w/o it falling apart)

I ice and decorate right away. What do you mean by "falling apart"? icon_confused.gif My cakes don't "fall apart".

Quote:
Quote:

When everyone made their 1st "fancy" looking cake, did you do a practice cake 1st?

I'd never heard of a "practice" cake before I cam to CC. It never crossed my mind that I had to make TWO cakes ..... a practice cake and a "real" cake! icon_eek.gif So, no, I've never madea "practice" cake in my life.

Quote:
Quote:

Didn't see the photo ... howbig are the cakes? I allocated four 2-lb bags of p.sugar for every 7 cake mixes and always had plenty. I never measure icing by cups. I just make icing. If I make too much, I store it. If I make too little, I make more. Measure and know ahead of time? Huh! That's a new concept to me! icon_lol.gif

Quote:
Quote:

Im new to using buttercream and fondant

Since that's all I know to ice a cake with, what did you use before? (just teasin' ya!! icon_lol.gif )

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 4:23pm
post #3 of 12

I let my cakes cool completely. To get them level I level them in the pan..to the top of the pan...then tip out onto a cake rack and let cool. Then I torte if I'm going to torte, wrap each layer seperartly in press and seal wrap and then wrap both layers together with another layer of press and seal. I do not use foil, it leaves marks. Then I freeze for at least overnight. then I unwrap, fill, crumbcoat and let settle for AT LEAST three hours before putting on the final coat of BC or Fondant. I do not wait for any thawing before filling and especially not before carving. The more frozen the easier it is to carve and crumbcoat...and I want to keep all that moisture inside the cake.

I also don't refridgerate after the final coating goes on the cake. I have an A/C in the kitchen and at home and don't need to protect it from heat and I don't want to deal with condensation from the fridge. BUT if you have to do so just put your cake in a cake box, wrap the box in plastic and then put it in the fridge...the condensation will form on the outside of the wrap, not your cake.

To answer some of your other questions...I'd been decorating for about 10 years before my first fondant cake so working with cake was not new for me. I didn't do a test run but I also didn't do my first fondant cake for anyone but myself...learning to work with fondant is hard and takes a lot of practice to get it right so I would never have used that on a client or even for a big event for my family...that waited till I'd done about 5 cakes for practice first.

You can't do everything with buttercream that you can with fondant but you can do alot with it. As for smoothing..I use Indydebis recipe and smooth it with an offset spatula first and then with the viva papertowel method after and it works great.

Didn't see the cake in your photo but a double recipe of Debis BC would covere a two tier cake.

You sound like you are a real newbie in this whole cake business...well, this is the place to go...here and YOU TUBE...you can find anything you need in order to practice and learn to make incredible cakes! HTH

Cat

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 4:25pm
post #4 of 12

My crumbcoat layer is kind of thin, just enough to barely see the cake.

I freeze up to two weeks but mostly a week, (some swear that cakes frozen for up to 3-6 months tasted like they were just made). This also depends on when I bake; I've baked and froze cakes on Wed. for a Sat. cake , taking out the freezer the next day.

Cakes can thaw within an hour. You can torte and fill before it fully thws out. Don't ice a cake until it is fully thawed and room temp.

After I thaw a cake I don't put bake in the freezer. I always crumbcoat at least 1/2 hr or more before I ice, depending on time I might have to do it right away. If the bc crusts you can spritz the cake with water, brush piping gel or apricot glaze on the cake to make the fondant stick.

Yes you can get a smooth look with bc.

Fondant smoother, viva paper towel or printer paper and the Melvira technique ( foam roller).

I use a crusting bc (less damage to icing when applying decorations). I would wait at least 15 mins. Fondant decorations will stick if you use piping gel, bc, or water to the back.

You should do a practice run if it;s things you've never done before (stacking a cake, piping, a topsy turvy cake, stenciling etc.).

bluerose26 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 4:51pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Quote:

I use the same icing that I use to ice a cake. I don't thin it down. I just put it on thinner.
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Cakes don't take long to thaw to a workable state. Anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes, depending on the size of the cake.
Quote:
Quote:

No.
Quote:
Quote:

then unthaw and ice with buttercream then put then fondant on it before the buttercream hardens?

I dont' worry about whether the BC crusts or not. I havent' found that it makes a difference one way or another.
Quote:
Quote:

Didn't look at the photo before I flipped to this response screen, but many bakers can get a fondant-smooth look with BC. There is a very affluent bakery in my town that advertises this. (And she can do it, too.)
Quote:
Quote:

what is a bench scraper?

Quote:
Quote:

I ice and decorate right away. What do you mean by "falling apart"? icon_confused.gif My cakes don't "fall apart".
Quote:
Quote:

I'd never heard of a "practice" cake before I cam to CC. It never crossed my mind that I had to make TWO cakes ..... a practice cake and a "real" cake! icon_eek.gif So, no, I've never madea "practice" cake in my life.
Quote:
Quote:

Didn't see the photo ... howbig are the cakes? I allocated four 2-lb bags of p.sugar for every 7 cake mixes and always had plenty.
Im making a 2 teir cake.
would this recipe be enough for a 2 teir cake? or double it? http://cakecentral.com/recipes/16233/easy-never-fail-buttercream

I never measure icing by cups. I just make icing. If I make too much, I store it. If I make too little, I make more. Measure and know ahead of time? Huh! That's a new concept to me! icon_lol.gif

Quote:
Quote:

Since that's all I know to ice a cake with, what did you use before? (just teasin' ya!! icon_lol.gif )

I used just regular icing from the grocery store. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 4:56pm
post #6 of 12
floral1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floral1210 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 5:14pm
post #7 of 12

After seeing the cake you want to make, I don't think it is fondant at all. I think it is all BC, and any of the smoothing methods given by previous posters can work well. You should have no trouble doing that cake if you can make a good, solid buttercream and have some patience!
The decorations are fondant, cut out with cutters. You can buy or make the fondant, then use cutters you can purchase at the craft store. Use buttercream to fasten the decorations to the cake.

Paige_Pittman86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paige_Pittman86 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 5:21pm
post #8 of 12

okay i dont freeze any of my cakes... Is this something i should be doing? if so what does it help with why are the cakes frozen? THANKS icon_smile.gif

bluerose26 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 5:22pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

No.
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

what is a bench scraper?

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Didn't see the photo ... howbig are the cakes? I allocated four 2-lb bags of p.sugar for every 7 cake mixes and always had plenty.
Im making a 2 teir cake.
would this recipe be enough for a 2 teir cake? or double it? http://cakecentral.com/recipes/16233/easy-never-fail-buttercream

I never measure icing by cups. I just make icing. If I make too much, I store it. If I make too little, I make more. Measure and know ahead of time? Huh! That's a new concept to me! icon_lol.gif

Quote:
Quote:

I used just regular icing from the grocery store. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 5:26pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige_Pittman86

okay i dont freeze any of my cakes... Is this something i should be doing? if so what does it help with why are the cakes frozen? THANKS icon_smile.gif

Here's my unscientific theory on why I think freezing is good for my cakes: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6861827.html#6861827
It just seems logical to me.

Paige_Pittman86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paige_Pittman86 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 5:53pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige_Pittman86

Here's my unscientific theory on why I think freezing is good for my cakes: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6861827.html#6861827
It just seems logical to me.

Hey! thank you. I will try this and see how it works. I use boxed cake mixes because it is a hobby, and i don't sell any of my cakes. It make it easier on myself. The last cake i tried to make by doing anything other than the box mix was the WASC, and i didn't like it at all. I don't know what i did wrong, or if it's suppose to bake a hard layer over the top of the cake. Any who I just stick to boxes for now. Is it still okay to freeze those?

indydebi Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 5:59pm
post #12 of 12

I've been a box-mix baker for 30 years. Works fine for me! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%