Hoarder Cake

Decorating By yankeecake Updated 25 Jul 2010 , 9:04am by Evoir

yankeecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yankeecake Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 2:47pm
post #1 of 14

My Aunt works with a lady that is a hoarder and she is having a birthday. My Aunt doesn't want a cake but cupcakes and she wants a centerpiece representing the hoarder theme. But i dont know how to make it hoarder theme. She wants it to be rkt

13 replies
therese379 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
therese379 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 3:00pm
post #2 of 14

well that's a hard one... I would put all the cupcakes in the centre of the board covered in icing, like a mountain... covered in fondant pieces... blankets,pillows, cloths, cups,glasses,papers, boxes...ect... make it look cut not as to upset the birthday girl too much... hope that helps therese

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 3:00pm
post #3 of 14

is the woman ok with being teased about being a hoarder?? Because there are some people that have serious issues with it and might be offended. Hopefully she's not one of them.

Most of the "hoarders" I know save absolutely EVERYTHING, and most of it I would consider to be garbage, old newspapers (they swear there are articles they'll want to read again!), empty bottles (they swear they'll use them for something!), random remnants of fabric (they'll take up sewing one day!), etc.

I would just make a ton of random little things to stick on the cupcakes (could be VERY time consuming though) maybe you can find some chocolate molds and make a bunch of stuff quickly using molds?

Does this woman hoard anything in particular? Maybe that would give you some ieas?

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 3:06pm
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

is the woman ok with being teased about being a hoarder?? Because there are some people that have serious issues with it and might be offended. Hopefully she's not one of them.

KHalstead, I was thinking the same thing.

Hoarding is a psychological disorder. If the woman was bi-polar would she ask for a cake that reflected that? How about if she had MS? Hopefully the term hoarder is on everyone's radar because of the shows about it and this woman is really just a charming collector/pack-rat icon_smile.gif

yankeecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yankeecake Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 3:12pm
post #5 of 14

She isn't offened be beng a hoarder and is more of packrat because at work her desk is full of junk because she doesn't trow anything out. Thank you for the ideas

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 3:14pm
post #6 of 14

seriously? that seems odd to make a disorder be the theme of someone's birthday cake...

MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 3:16pm
post #7 of 14

Khalstead, my thoughts exactly. I think it's a very dangerous area and maybe ask your aunt to be sure it won't be hurtful.

foodguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foodguy Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 3:35pm
post #8 of 14

I agree, its a dangerous area and could be very hurtful. She might be making light of it at work just to hide her pain. I wouldn't do it.
She must have other interests or things that she enjoys.

lolymari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lolymari Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 5:16am
post #9 of 14

if you plan to do this cake, I would make a desk with her sitting behind it and a replica of what her desk looks like at work (paper, magazines over full trash and maybe her expression being stressed =)). Don't do anything to try to make fun of her home in any way. Good Luck!

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 5:37am
post #10 of 14

Touchy....I like the work idea. Much less personal, especially if she isn't friends with work people outside of work.

klangl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klangl Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 5:55am
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolymari

if you plan to do this cake, I would make a desk with her sitting behind it and a replica of what her desk looks like at work (paper, magazines over full trash and maybe her expression being stressed =)). Don't do anything to try to make fun of her home in any way. Good Luck!

I like the desk/office theme, paper clips, tape dispenser, stapler, etc...oh and a coffee mug would be cute too, and not to hard to do.

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 6:05am
post #12 of 14

I would stick with the office idea as well, personally the idea of doing a cake reflecting hoarding leaves a bad taste in my mouth I would have to pass that one up. Sorry its just my opinion.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 6:44am
post #13 of 14

I strongly agree with everyone above that recommends going with the office/desk idea. I would also strongly recommend that the word "hoarding" NOT ever be mentioned. "Packrat" is socially acceptable. Since hoarding is on TV now, it can really touch a lot of nerves very, very easily. I'm certain that the very last thing your aunt would want is to hurt her co-workers feelings (as evidenced by her thoughtfulness in trying to get her a "cupcake" theme that reflects her friend's personality). Perhaps you could very gently suggest to your aunt that "hoarding" is a loaded term and that "packrat" is a better way to put it.

The office desk cupcake display should be absolutely darling--there is so much you can make out of fondant, you could make a cupcake chair with a back on it with little tiny wheels underneath, oh, so many ideas...

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 9:04am
post #14 of 14

Hmmm...I have a good friend who has a very mess, cluttered desk at work. She is a professional, almost genius, engineer, and this is how she works best. Whenever she has work reviews with her employer, the desk thing gets brought up, and it is very upsetting to her. She ios probably the most productive person in the company, yet some pencil pusher wants her to maintain a cleared desktop?? Just a different perspective I guess, but I am just saying that referring to someone's habits may NOT be taken well by some people, whether they are considered bad or okay by third parties.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%