Just To Share A Tale Of A Kindness Returned

Decorating By Apti Updated 27 Jul 2010 , 1:06am by Jen80

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 10:18pm
post #1 of 16

Hello everybody in CC-land.

I've been decorating for about 4 months now and am completely and gloriously addicted. My neighbors and family call me the "cake lady".

Recently a neighbor I barely knew who lives alone had a stroke. Two other neighbors and I have been helping him. (BTW he's made a wonderful recovery!). Just now he brought me a gift to say thank you.
It's the book on my Wishlist!!! Professional Cake Decorating by Toba Garrett!!! He brought it over and said this is for the Cake Lady. I grabbed the book, did a happy dance, and have been drooling over the marvelous pages of wisdom.

On page 31 a hint says for BC roses, use Hershey's Kisses as a base!!!! How freakin' cool is that? Kids love to eat the roses! Wait 'til they find a Hershey's Kiss in the middle!

I know it's a LOT of exclamation points, but I am thrilled. Karma is a good thing and I wish all of you at CC who have been so helpful great karma as well.

15 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 10:24pm
post #2 of 16

You took the words out of my mouth ..... karma, baby! Karma! thumbs_up.gif

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 10:24pm
post #3 of 16

Thats wonderful.

I just wanted to let you know (if you don't already) That the ices convention is being held in San Deigo this year. If you have the time, you should go visit if even just to few the cakes and of course if your pocketbook can handle it the vendor area is to die for.

just visit www.ices.org for my info.

Apti Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 10:29pm
post #4 of 16

peg818,

I am SO already signed up. I have a hands on for the 3D undersea cookie, and all the demos they'd let me sign up for with standby tickets for the rest!

I am having newbie tremors because I'm taking two cakes to the cake shack. Oh boy, Oh boy, Oh boy.....

If anybody needs any San Diego recommendations, please, please PM me! I'd be happy to give you all sorts of info on my darling hometown.

kkitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkitchen Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 10:37pm
post #5 of 16

Acts of kindness is always paid back with dividents

honeyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeyscakes Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 10:51pm
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

You took the words out of my mouth ..... karma, baby! Karma! thumbs_up.gif

YUP!
Congratulations!!!
- h

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 2:28am
post #7 of 16

I agree with all the above! I love reading posts like this!! icon_smile.gif

You will have a BLAST at the ICES convention...make sure you go into the vendors room with a LOT Of money icon_biggrin.gif You will be amazed at all the cake toys there. Make a list....and try to stick to it! icon_wink.gif

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 5:00am
post #8 of 16

I love things like this! Not only did you get an awesome book, but a friend for life.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 5:36am
post #9 of 16

Thanks for sharing. thumbs_up.gif It's nice to hear a good story for a change. icon_biggrin.gif

Bfisher2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bfisher2 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 6:17am
post #10 of 16

thumbs_up.gif You go girl!!!!!!!!!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 3:31pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

I agree with all the above! I love reading posts like this!! icon_smile.gif

You will have a BLAST at the ICES convention...make sure you go into the vendors room with a LOT Of money icon_biggrin.gif You will be amazed at all the cake toys there. Make a list....and try to stick to it! icon_wink.gif

Yes yes, make that wish list and try to stick to it. Also if you are on limited funds (that will be me this year) make sure you think twice about every cool think you see in the demos. icon_smile.gif Some demo's are design to make you want to go out and buy their products, and some demos are there to show you new and different things. Some things while at the convention you will think you will go home and use over and over and some things you will find that a year later you haven't even opened them. (Guilty of that, but I'll still buy more this year. HeHe.)

Because I had some unexpected vet bills come up I've been debating this week on which I want more, a chance to by even more cake toys or getting my hair done before the trip. icon_wink.gif The things we will compromise on.

I think it is awesome that you are bring cakes, so many people shy away from that their first year, and there is no reason to. Plus since you live in the area you dont have to worry about traveling through several states with cakes.

I may have to take you up on the offer for picking your brain about San Diego. Ive currently been instructed by my driver to print out a list of restaurants in the area so we can easily find what we want.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 10:06pm
post #12 of 16

That was a very sweet gesture and how perfect a gift!

pixiefuncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pixiefuncakes Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 10:17pm
post #13 of 16

I so agree with mamawrobin, it is lovely to hear of your act of kindness and to hear of the appreciation of it. Keeps the world turning

Apti Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 10:55pm
post #14 of 16

Thanks everyone for the lovely comments. My neighbor returned to work the other day. He is still going to have a long, fatiguing, frustrating time of it, but he has worked harder on his recovery that any patient I have ever seen. (I worked with severely handicapped patients for about 25 years.) We are all so very proud of him.

The other two neighbors I mentioned, a husband and wife, are much closer to him and did far more than I. Wonder what darling thing he came up with to say thank you to them--I'm sure it was every bit as thoughtful as my darling book.

I'm sure that each and every one of you has performed similar kindnesses.

tweeter_bug98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tweeter_bug98 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 11:16pm
post #15 of 16

What a sweet and thoughtful gesture on his part...and yours, too! Thanks for sharing your story. And I love the Hershey Kiss idea...I haven't tried it yet, but I heard about it a while back.

Jen80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jen80 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 1:06am
post #16 of 16

What a sweet story! How exciting! Good on ya girl!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%