Straight, Level And Strong Cakes

Decorating By aundrea Updated 19 Jul 2010 , 10:44pm by Texas_Rose

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 9:39pm
post #1 of 6

what are the tips and secrets to achieving this. im horrible at stacking cakes. i always get a dip or its not very level.
i use foam core boards covered with press-n-seal. bubble tea straws for stacking the cakes.
i look at the stacked cakes here with envy.
i know practice, practice, practice....i really want to get nice looking stacked cakes. nicely stacked cakes look strong and elegant.
TIA

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 9:59pm
post #2 of 6

Well, you have to level the cakes first, then use a good support system.

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 10:04pm
post #3 of 6

any suggestions for leveling a cake. i usually do it by eye or use a cake leveler. which too me seems to take off alot of cake.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 10:22pm
post #4 of 6

Use a leveler. If your cakes are baking with a high dome that ends up getting cut off, try baking at a lower temp with a flower nail in the middle. You'll still need to level a bit for absolute perfection, but it won't feel like you're cutting off half the cake when you level it.

I use foam core covered in press and wrap also, but I use wilton's hollow plastic dowels. You have to cut all the dowels to the same height, even if the cake is a tiny bit lower than the dowels in a spot or two.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 10:28pm
post #5 of 6

As Texas says, reduce the doming by using flower nail and/or baking strips with a reduced temp.

If your cakes rise higher than the pan, use the pan as a guide to trim the doming.

If your cakes don't rise higher than the pan, and you're having trouble leveling with a leveler, here's a tip I picked up from fellow CC'ers and it works great.

Remove the cake from the pan. Place 1 to 3 cardboards in the pan. Put the cake back in the pan. The cake is now elevated higher than the edge of the pan. Use the pan as a guide, slice off the doming and you have the most perfectly level cake you've ever seen.

The only bad part is sometimes it's hard to get the cardboards out of the pan! icon_redface.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 10:44pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

The only bad part is sometimes it's hard to get the cardboards out of the pan! icon_redface.gif

Maybe a piece of plastic wrap inside the pan, then the cardboards? If the plastic wrap was tough enough you could use it to pull the cardboards out. icon_biggrin.gif

I always use the 3" deep pans but I bake two layers for each, so I can't use the pan to level my cakes...but that little cheap Wilton leveler with the wire works really well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%