I Would Like Some Advice About A Cake For Charity, Please?

Decorating By Rachel5370 Updated 19 Jul 2010 , 2:20am by Rachel5370

Rachel5370 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachel5370 Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 8:36pm
post #1 of 15

I am donating a cake for 100 people for silent auction at a charity benefit. My plan is to make a dummy cake (wedding) and auction off a certificate so that it can be ordered for when the person needs it. I am also providing mini cupcakes as part of the dinner and samples of my work. I did this to help out the cause- but also as business exposure. My initial thoughts were to go all out on the dummy cake and go for a "wow factor". My second thoughts were that if I make an elaborate dummy- then I will be expected to give away an elaborate cake. The problem is that I am opening up a shop in a couple of months and things could get busy! My question is, what would you do? I want to show my skill and impress people, but I want to represent the cake I'm willing to give away- which probably needs to be fairly simple. What design ideas do you have that can accomplish both? Also, what stipulations would you put on the winners of the cake? I just want to make sure I can fulfill my promise and not screw myself, ya know? Thankyou in advance! ~Rachel

14 replies
yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 8:51pm
post #2 of 15

One of the stipulations could be based on a time period. I 'm saying this because of your shop opening soon.

I'll be back with a wow simple and elegant cakes that might inspire you.

yummy Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 8:53pm
post #3 of 15
yummy Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 9:07pm
post #5 of 15

Another one; brides love bling!

Rachel5370 Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 9:16pm
post #6 of 15

Thankyou, Yummy! I was thinking something with dots or daisies because it's fresh and young, but not too crazy for the older crowd either. And yes, a time stipulation would be good too. I was thinking about having a stipulation for booking within a month and another one for when the event is. I don't want to go too far out at this point. I'm thinking the end of the year or 6 months?

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 9:24pm
post #7 of 15

Maybe a better way would be to do a gift certificate worth $200/$300/etc
that can be used for a cake or towards a larger or more elelaborate cake.
You would get at least $2.00/serving that's why I started the gf at $200.
You could always show pics of your cakes so people would know what
type of work you do. They'll already be tasting your cuppies!! icon_smile.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 9:26pm
post #8 of 15

you might be better with a price limit. say $300, or what ever the 100 serving simple style cakes go for - if the winner wants more servings, or a fancier design (and remember, might not even be a wedding cake - so maybe exclude carved cakes?) they can pay the difference.

theres been quite a few posts on what to have on a gift certificate, have a browse back. as well as a time limit of when the cake can be delivered (id think month limit on actually ordering the cake is maybe a bit short, but its your certificate, so go with what works for you), remember to say depending on your availability!
xx

Rachel5370 Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 9:34pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes47

Maybe a better way would be to do a gift certificate worth $200/$300/etc
that can be used for a cake or towards a larger or more elelaborate cake.
You would get at least $2.00/serving that's why I started the gf at $200.
You could always show pics of your cakes so people would know what
type of work you do. They'll already be tasting your cuppies!! icon_smile.gif

I was initially going to do that, but since people seem to be confused about the value of cakes, I thought a dummy that represents cake for 100 people with a retail value slipped into the description might get better bidding than a specific dollar amount. I want to maximize what the charity gets and look out for myself too. If they need more servings or want more elaborate decor, then they can pay the difference. That's actually what I'm hoping for, so that when I do the cake my ingredients will be covered. I do plan to include some pics too, because they are not limited to a wedding cake. I don't know what to do! I have until Friday to figure out the gift certificate and stipulations, but I have to get going on the dummy cake soon!

lenagc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lenagc Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 9:36pm
post #10 of 15

I have been asked to participate in a yearly silent auction for the past two years. What I did was, I put a collection of some of my work on a poster size picture (had it done at Costco for a few dollars) included three different styles of syrofome ,cakes that I do, with a brief explanation, also submitted price range of cakes. Offered my services within a certain price range. My cake was said to have been one of the highest bid items. The person that bid on my cake called the very next day, so I only had four days to come up with a cake for him.( So prepare yourself for that possibly happening) I finished his cake, and everything went great. It was one of the best things I ever did, plus it helped put my name out there. Good luck to you I hope this helps.

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 9:38pm
post #11 of 15

Whatever you decide to do, I hope it works out best for you and
for the auction!!! Good luck!!! icon_smile.gif

Rachel5370 Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 9:43pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenagc

I have been asked to participate in a yearly silent auction for the past two years. What I did was, I put a collection of some of my work on a poster size picture (had it done at Costco for a few dollars) included three different styles of syrofome ,cakes that I do, with a brief explanation, also submitted price range of cakes. Offered my services within a certain price range. My cake was said to have been one of the highest bid items. The person that bid on my cake called the very next day, so I only had four days to come up with a cake for him.( So prepare yourself for that possibly happening) I finished his cake, and everything went great. It was one of the best things I ever did, plus it helped put my name out there. Good luck to you I hope this helps.

That's good to hear! I am thinking of going back to my original plan of making the gift cert a certain amount towards a cake. I just hope the charity gets at least the value of the cake!

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 11:24pm
post #13 of 15

When giving gfit certificates I always make sure to include "Based on availability" that way if they call up and want to redeem in a couple of days I can tell them that's not enough notice and recommend they place their order at least 2-3 weeks in advance.

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 11:48pm
post #14 of 15

When I did one for a silent auction, I did a photo, and set a minimum value, I think that is pretty common.

Rachel5370 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 2:20am
post #15 of 15

Good ideas! I have lots to think about! Thankyou!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%