Oily Cupcake Liner

Baking By princesscupcake000 Updated 18 Apr 2011 , 7:28am by wafawafa

princesscupcake000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princesscupcake000 Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 3:38pm
post #1 of 10

I recently baked some vanilla cupcakes in a light blue paper cupcake liners. The cakes tasted great, however when I took them out of the pans, the liners seemed quite oily and the light blue liners were not as vibrant in colour. Not sure if I have explained this properly, but does anyone know how I can stop this from happening in the future? Thanks.

9 replies
aej6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aej6 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 1:04am
post #2 of 10

I don't have an answer...would like to see what others think though!

MarianInFL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarianInFL Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:27am
post #3 of 10

The same thing happened to me just yesterday! I had to wipe all the liners off.

onlymadaresane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onlymadaresane Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:38am
post #4 of 10

I've found that the cheaper the liners are the more they lose color while baking. They just don't hold to as well.

I just bought a pack of black ones to see how they'll hold up. I got some from Michaels a few days ago..they didn't do so well.

pixiefuncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pixiefuncakes Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:59am
post #5 of 10

Apparently it has to do with the amount of fat (ie butter etc) in your mixture, the 'fattier' the mixture the more it will seep through. You can get liners made of greaseproof paper or glassine and these are much better. The foil liners are usually the best (they have a layer of paper and then a layer of foil). It's a bummer when it happens though, ruins the whole look!

princesscupcake000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princesscupcake000 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:31am
post #6 of 10

I used the blue Wilton cake liners with yellow ducks on them so don't think quality is the issue. It is funny as it happens sometimes and not other times using the same cake recipe. Will have to take a closer look next time as to external factors such as temp of the kitchen, brand of butter etc.

Z-CAKERY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Z-CAKERY Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:51am
post #7 of 10

I had the same problem the other day with banana nut cupcakes. It might be a waste but what I did was double the liner when I packed them for presentation purposes. That way a nice clean vibrant paper would be on the outside of the greasy dull one. Or use foil lined as mentioned above.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 9:26pm
post #8 of 10

I am in the works of building a licenced kitchen and one of my research projects is to study cupcake liners. EVERY cupcake batch is baked in various liners in the same pan. The wilton "cute" ones with the ruffle and the straight sided ones are greasy and splotched. Cheap ones from the internet in pretty prints are bad as well. The plain colored Wiltons are good, as well as the pricier ones from Sur La Table and Williams-Sonoma. And the fail-proof ones every time are the Reynolds foil with paper liners. I do have to add that my recipes are all super moist. I do not have a problem with any papers coming off. I take them out of the pan as soon as I can touch them and I let the come to room temperature and leave them out for at least two hours. I frost them and put them in plastic containers for us, or cardboard boxes if the are for family or my daughter's school

susieq1948 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susieq1948 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 3:22pm
post #9 of 10

i found a company online Viking Importing Co. (www.vikingimporting.com) whose cupcake liners I love - they come in so many different designs and colors - and you can buy in bulk or consumer packs. I have never had a problem with the liners and the company is wonderful to deal with - great customer service!

wafawafa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wafawafa Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 7:28am
post #10 of 10

when I doubled the liners for each cupcake it becomes very clean

that what I do ,

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%