Help! Icing Cracking And Cake Due In Morning!

Decorating By shannycakers Updated 19 Jul 2010 , 5:57pm by TexasSugar

shannycakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannycakers Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 4:53am
post #1 of 7

Please help, my 2 tier baby shower cake is starting to magically show hairline cracks going up and around the sides of whole cake, kinda like it wants to peel of a little layer! What happened..I tried to resmooth with viva..and it helps some but im afraid its getting worse?? had same problem yesterday on a sheet cake with no filling so i know its not a stack issue...MY buttercream is sams club which i have never had an issue with??

Please help me!

6 replies
lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 5:10am
post #2 of 7

What kind of support are you using for the board?

StacyR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StacyR Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 5:43am
post #3 of 7

I had a cake do this and figured out it was because my board had a little give in it. If it's not completely sturdy, your cake is being shifted, causing the buttercream to crack. Could that be it?

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 7:42am
post #4 of 7

I had this happen once so I used a paper towel that had a pattern on it and smoothed the cake. The imprinted pattern hides all cracks and it looks great too. You will get people asking you how did you get the pattern.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 7:54am
post #5 of 7

you don't have enough support under your cake or your cakes are settling. leave it till the morning...it's the cover of the crusting buttercream that you are seeing. also, if you have it in the fridge the fridge may be too cold. I've had that especially happen when I take the cake from the cool into the heat PLUS the lack of support under the cake icon_sad.gif

shannycakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannycakers Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:11pm
post #6 of 7

But I dont think those are the answer because, the cake was left already over night to settle, and i had a masonite strong board under it..icon_sad.gif I was able to smooth most of it out again with a paper towel but hte cake i had already decorated with fondant accents I couldnt get to to smooth...it.. I have decided it must have been a fluke..my other cake i did the same way and it was perfectly fine..

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 5:57pm
post #7 of 7

Could the weight of the fondant piece have been pulling the icing off the side of the cake? Did you see any cracks in relation to where the fondant was placed? Any pictures of the cracking?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%