Most Popular Flavor For Little Ones

Decorating By kger Updated 17 Jul 2010 , 1:14am by kger

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 26

Making a 1st bday cake for the neighbor. She told me to pick the flavor. I think a yellow or white vanilla but not sure on the filling. Something boring and plain probably icon_sad.gif

No access to BetterCreme, how's the mock whipped icing as a filling?

25 replies
TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 5:57pm
post #2 of 26

Seems as though funfetti cake is a popular flavor around here ... just white cake with sprinkles in it ... I generally use buttercream as my filling, but I often color it to match the theme of the cake ...

SuzyNoQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuzyNoQ Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 6:15pm
post #3 of 26

My kids love chocolate the most but they like any kind of cake.

Crabbabs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crabbabs Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 6:16pm
post #4 of 26

I agree, funfetti is always fun. For my nephew's 1st birthday I just did a white cake but, like TheCakerator, I colored each buttercream filling layer a different color (orange, blue, and green) and it was a big hit. The older kids (3 and 4) were taking about which color tasted the best - even though it was all just regular buttercream.

Personally, with a kid's cake I always go boring with the flavors. Anything "fancy" and you risk kids being picky or complaining.

Crabbabs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crabbabs Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 6:20pm
post #5 of 26

oh, and I don't have any experience with the mock whipped icing as a filling, but I imagine it would work as long as you used a damn of thick regular buttercream. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 6:37pm
post #6 of 26

For me its regular white cake with vanilla buttercream and strawberry jam, I agree with crabbabs, Fancy makes kids picky, give them something they know and love, You can always jazz it up by dying the cake or buttercream different colours icon_smile.gif

kger Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 6:44pm
post #7 of 26

Since I'm doing a butterfly out of 2 rounds, I decided to do 1 half cookies & cream (using chocolate) and the other half funfetti using the neon colors of the party plates: pink, orange, green, purple, blue, yellow. I wonder if they make neon premixed like that, or if I'm going to have to buy 6 bottles of sprinkles. Good idea about coloring the BC. The butterfly will be purple BC, so I can color some mock whipped to 3 of those other neon colors I mentioned.

Baby's smash cake will just be white cake and stabilized whipped.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 7:42pm
post #8 of 26

Saying this with pure heartfelt love and respect icon_rolleyes.gif : Who cares? icon_confused.gif

The birthday kid is ONE! He/she doesnt' even know what's going on, let alone have the capability to complain about the flavor of a cake. First birthday parties are for the parents, and not the kid, anyway.

Guests: Little kid guests only want sugary cake. White, yellow, chocolate, or monkey butt poop. They don't care as long as it's covered with icing and it's sweet.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 7:52pm
post #9 of 26

I am laughing so hard I nearly pee'd my pants BUT Indydebi is absolutely right. The kid could give a rat's behind. I could have iced a box with buttercream and my granddaughter would have been happy (just celebrated her 1ST birthday) In all honesty the one year old probably isn't even going to eat the cake...but they will indulge in the icing...lots of icing. I wouldn't tint the icing either. The color will stain the hands and face. White icing is much better if they're going to "play" in the cake.

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 7:54pm
post #10 of 26

Hey Debi!

Can I please have your recipe for monkey butt poop cake? I'm sure my friends and family would love it!!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

indydebi Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 7:57pm
post #11 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

White icing is much better if they're going to "play" in the cake.

Had one mother (relative) complain because the kid didn't get messy enough "..... so you should always use chocolate icing on a first birthday cake!"

The kid is just a prop in her little party-drama so she accuses ME as the problem because her pictures weren't "cute" (i.e. "messy-faced") enough! And using a kid as a prop ticks me off even more! icon_mad.gif

barefootsdesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barefootsdesign Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 7:59pm
post #12 of 26

I debated on the same thing b/c I'm in process of making the cake for my daughter's 1st birthday. My delima was most buttercreme is sooo sweet and she hasn't had that kind of stuff yet. So I have tried several receipes and I found a Cookies and creme BC that is absolutely delicious and doesn't have that overpowering choc taste or sweet taste. It's great. If you want the receipe let me know and I'll send it to you.

indydebi Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 7:59pm
post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimblyd

Hey Debi!

Can I please have your recipe for monkey butt poop cake? I'm sure my friends and family would love it!!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Start with one monkey.......

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 8:12pm
post #14 of 26

I needed that laugh!

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 8:22pm
post #15 of 26

Keep the flavors simple, but load up on the design! Color, colored sugar sprinkles, different colored frostings, polka dots, stripes and candy decorations. All no fail for kids.

If it looks like a cake from a children's story they'll love it!

kger Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 8:37pm
post #16 of 26

Yeah, so... as far as building a business goes...

There will be 30 parents there, with 20 kids. If I can make a rockin' cake, I will get some orders.

That is why it matters.

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 8:46pm
post #17 of 26

i find this to be my most popular cake/filling combo, no matter what the party, but i highly suggest it for a kids party mostly b/c it's fine for kids with any kind of nut allergy.

marble cake; it satisfies the vanilla and the chocolate lovers and it looks "cool" in the kids' eyes and elegant in the moms and dads eyes. cookies and cream filling; it's light and fluffy, and tastes delicious, and heck it has oreos in it! just whip some heavy cream with vanilla and powdered sugar and fold crushed oreos in it! voila! kids and parents alike love it, thus more business created for you!!!

indydebi Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 8:53pm
post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by kger

Yeah, so... as far as building a business goes...

There will be 30 parents there, with 20 kids. If I can make a rockin' cake, I will get some orders.

That is why it matters.

Good marketing plan! So you want to know what flavors appeal to the PARENTS, not to "the little ones". thumbs_up.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 8:54pm
post #19 of 26

Oh I agree that the "real" birthday cake matters...it's the smash cake that isn't that big a deal. I put all of my focus on the big cake because that's what everyone eats. Of course the cake that everyone eats should taste great and reflect what your business is about. It's the "smash" cake that is really no big deal. What does it matter what the flavor is it's just for a "prop" anyway. A one year old could care less if the cake is white, yellow, chocolate or banana. They're ONE... it's not like they're going to get past the icing to even eat the cake in the first place. A one year old will eat a few bites of icing and they're done. That cake is so the parents can get all the "cute" pictures for the photo album it isn't for eating. I've seen parents encourage the kid to tear up and crumble the cake just to make a mess for "cuter" pictures. Why waste time on trying to decide a flavor for that.

The cake that is going to be served gets my attention for flavor etc. This is the cake that will "get you orders" not the kid's cake.

iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 9:02pm
post #20 of 26
Quote:

Hey Debi!

I'd like your recipe, too, but only if it's a GOOD recipe for Monkey-Butt-Poop cake. I have a crappy (no pun intended) one already, I'm trying to find a "tried and true recipe"! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 9:09pm
post #21 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcakin

Quote:

Hey Debi!

I'd like your recipe, too, but only if it's a GOOD recipe for Monkey-Butt-Poop cake. I have a crappy (no pun intended) one already, I'm trying to find a "tried and true recipe"! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Oh NOW i'm jealous because I didn't think of the "crappy" line first! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 9:53pm
post #22 of 26

I usually make white cake with vanilla icing. I always explain that they might want to go with a lighter colored icing b/c of staining. Smash cakes are truly just props for a cute pic.
Maybe I should start suggesting monkey butt poop flavored as an alternative to white. Do you have a SCRATCH recipe for that. What filling goes best with the monkey butt poop?

indydebi Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 9:54pm
post #23 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecrn

What filling goes best with the monkey butt poop?

banana .... it's kind of a natural flavor alliance! icon_rolleyes.gif

VentureSister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VentureSister Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 10:11pm
post #24 of 26

I am crying here. Monkey butt poop! Is this cake texture good for throwing?

hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 10:58pm
post #25 of 26

Ya know, while I agree that toddlers are generally pretty happy with cake no matter what flavor it is, for a one year old birthday you DO have to be a little cautious. Some babies that age have not yet had chocolate, for example, and their birthday party would be a bad time to discover that they're allergic to it. Some parents don't want their baby to have artificial dyes or flavorings. MANY one-year-olds are still dairy intolerant to some degree. And yeah, the "staining" issue is there too, although pretty much all the parents I know stripped their 1yo down to diaper and bib before giving him/her the cake. icon_wink.gif (And slightly older kids LOVE having their tongues turn blue, or green, or whatever.)

I'd confirm with the parent ordering the cake that there aren't any such issues before proceeding.

FWIW, both of my kids have been total chocoholics since toddlerhood. My daughter (now 6 years old) won't even eat the supermarket white cake with strawberries in the filling.

As for monkey butt poop flavor...I should've thought of that for my daughter's 1st birthday party cake. It was shaped like a monkey. icon_smile.gif (Part of it was chocolate and part of it was banana.)

kger Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 1:14am
post #26 of 26

Good call on the banana flavor for the monkey!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%