Wedding Cake Flowers

Decorating By mommyjones Updated 16 Jul 2010 , 2:05pm by Cindy619

mommyjones Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyjones Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 1:47pm
post #1 of 5

Okay I am making my first big wedding cake next week for July 31st and I have never made flowers before. She wants yellow roses and I am unsure when I should make them and also if I should make them out of fondant or gum paste.

4 replies
jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 1:57pm
post #2 of 5

Get started making them now.... I would use a 50/50 mix of GP ad Fondant. If you don't have cutters you can use a round cutter... go to youtube and look for tonedna1 and watch her tutorial on fondant roses.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 1:58pm
post #3 of 5

You have never made them?! I hope you are planning on spending your weekend practicing ALOT, and next weekend too. The flowers arent too hard to make but they take practice to make them look good.

I dont know if you have seen it, but there is a sticky in the forums on how to make sugarflowers, make sure you check it out.

as far as when you can make them, anytime for fondant and gumpaste. How early you start depends on how long it takes you to make one decent flower and how many of those flowers you will need.

Good luck, and go practice !! thumbs_up.gif

itscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itscake Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 1:59pm
post #4 of 5

I would make them out of gum paste...and start now...they take time to dry...have fun and good luck !

Cindy619 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy619 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 2:05pm
post #5 of 5

I agree - start now! If you've never made them before, you're going to want to leave yourself plenty of time to figure it out. Also, there are so many great videos on youtube - just do a search for gum paste or sugar roses and you'll find plenty to watch.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%