Pre-Made Gp Flowers...am I Cheating??

Decorating By Kellbella Updated 17 Jul 2010 , 12:44am by 4realLaLa

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 12:08am
post #1 of 12

I'm thinking of buying some pre-made GP flowers for a wedding next month, but I can't help but feel like I'm "cheating" somehow icon_redface.gif I work 2 jobs already and really dread making all the flowers I need and am tempted to just buy them and dust them with whatever colors I need to save me some time. I don't know why I feel guilty about this icon_cry.gif Does anyone else feel the same? Does anyone else buy their flowers on a regualr basis? Thanks for listening.

11 replies
annacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annacakes Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 12:18am
post #2 of 12

Nope, not cheating. Lots do it.

You're still designing the cake.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 12:20am
post #3 of 12

shoot no. I quit making flowers years ago. My time is much better spent marketing my business. They're still handmade.

nana_marta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nana_marta Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 12:23am
post #4 of 12

Did you promise flowers handmade by YOU? Or did you promise a beautiful cake? I think it is all personal opinion. I would not have any trouble putting purchased flowers on the cake if they were of a good quality and made the cake attractive, not detracted from it. (We have all seen some of those pre-made flowers that look like drunk monkeys made them) icon_wink.gif Would you have trouble putting purchased edible pearls on a cake or do you feel they would have to be handmade by you? I think you should do what you are comfortable with. I know that was not much help, but in the end you have to live with yourslelf, either with some sleep and premade flowers, or sleepless, grouchy with handmade flowers. You don't have to broadcast the fact they are premade!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 12:28am
post #5 of 12

"handmade" rather than pre-made

just not by my hands . . .

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 12:30am
post #6 of 12

Heck no.. not cheating! I don't have time to make flowers. In fact I tell my couples that the flowers will be handmade but not by me. I've never had a problem!

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 12:51am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

"handmade" rather than pre-made

just not by my hands . . .

I like that icon_wink.gif and Nana I like what you had to say too! Thank you all for your opinions. I think I'll order some now!

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 2:17am
post #8 of 12

I have made my own and ordered pre-made as well. It's not cheating - it's smart! I think the best place I ordered from was http://www.discountsugarflowers.com/ Their flowers were great! Hope this helps.

nana_marta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nana_marta Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 5:48pm
post #9 of 12

bakingpw- that web site went right into my favs! Thanks for sharing it!

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 6:05pm
post #10 of 12

I agree--I love that website and keep a pretty good surplus of pre-made sugar flowers on my shelf. I've never received a broken flower from them! You would not cheating at all, just working smart icon_smile.gif!

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 8:16pm
post #11 of 12

After struggling for HOURS to make so-so lilies, I can tell you that buying pre-made is exactly what I'll be doing next time I need gumpaste flowers, cheating or not...

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 12:44am
post #12 of 12

Nope, not cheating unless... you say you made them yourself.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%