What Would You Charge??

Decorating By lilrhodybaker Updated 16 Jul 2010 , 7:58pm by mamawrobin

lilrhodybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilrhodybaker Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:47pm
post #1 of 13

Sorry, this is my first wedding cake

The family of my Goddaughter asked me to price up a three tiered cake and cupcakes for an August wedding. The MOB wants to take care of the cake. She wants 120 white cupcakes, white Buttercream icing in either pink, purple or white liners for the guests, and a three tiered chocolate cake with raspberry filling and white icing just for the head table. The two bottom tiers are to be stacked on each other (10" & 8") with the top tier on pillars (6) the decorations on the cake are to be "Simply elegant", BC roses and DBs Sangria" colored ribbon on the bottom of each layer
I did a preliminary estimate of just the cost of materials, including the rental of the cupcake stand and it came to $110.00
I figured an additional $1.00 a cupcake for a total of $120.00 just for cupcakes

So just in materials and the cupcakes themselves its running $230.00, this doesnt include the cake or any labor. I was going to give them a figure of $375.00.

Is this too much? Or not enough?

Since this is my first wedding cake, I dont want to scare them off, but I also dont want to be working for nothing either.

TIA

12 replies
cakegroove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegroove Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:57pm
post #2 of 13

Is your plan to cut them a deal because of the relationship you have with them? Have you done a survey with your local bakeries to get a feel of what things cost in your area?

lilrhodybaker Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 2:13pm
post #3 of 13

I figured I'd cut them a break since they are "kind of family". I haven't called around to local bakeries, but I suppose I could do that, it didn't even dawn on me to do so. They know I'm not a professional, and I'm doing this as a favor, I also told the MOB that I am not Ace of Cakes, nor Cake Boss, but I'd do the best that I can for them.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:23pm
post #4 of 13

6in - 12 servings
8in - 24 servings
10in - 38 servings

So you are looking at 62 servings of cake if they save the top tier and 74 if they serve it.

Even at a low $2 a serving for the cake it would be $148 and a $2 for each cupcake (because to me they are also a serving of cake) would be $240. That would be $388. Honestly, even for a family/friend, family member you are looking at alot of work.

How long is it going to take you to bake 120 cupcakes plus the six cake layers? How long is it going to take you to ice both? Where are you going to store all the cupcakes? How many boxes and boards are you going to need to transport them? Do you have a way to transport all of them or will it take you several trips?

Even for a family or friend, I still think we can't short change ourselves. Cake plus cupcakes are alot of work, which takes time away from your life and your family.

Now you said a friend of your goddaughter, are you close to this person? Not your goddaughter, but the friend? If not, I really wouldn't even consider a friend/family discount.

In my opinion if you ask me to do a cake, then you should expect to pay for it. If I offer to do a cake then it is my gift. I feel people can offer discounts, though I'm not a big fan of them, if they want to, but it shouldn't be expected because they know someone you know or are close to.

lilrhodybaker Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:39pm
post #5 of 13

TexasSugar, thanks so much for all the info. I have met the bride and MOB once, 8 years ago at my Goddaughters Christening. So as far as a discount, I would prefer not to do so, but I also don't want to price them out of the cake either. I think I'll give a couple of local bakeries a call and see what they'd charge for what she wants, and then base my price on that. It's nice to see that the price I came up with and they price you came up with are very close. Since we just started discussing this yesterday, I told her I'd let her know by Friday the price of the cake.

TexasSugar Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:53pm
post #6 of 13

Well I used $2 as a low point. Honestly I would have rounded it up to atleast $400 if not a more. But that is just me. While $388 sounds like a lot of money, when you break down how much time you are actually spending on it, it really isn't.

cakegroove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegroove Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 1:45am
post #7 of 13

I've priced myself out of some jobs. It just goes w/the territory. I agree with TexasSugar about they pay for it or you gift it. I don't do discounts either.

lilrhodybaker Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 5:36pm
post #8 of 13

Just got an email from the MOB and she now would like the bottom 2 tiers to be dummy cakes with a special section cut out for the cake the B&G will cut & eat. How is this going to change my price? I don't have to spend the $ on the ingredients, but now have to purchase dummy rounds.

How do you price dummy cakes?

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 5:47pm
post #9 of 13

That doesn't change the price for me, because the ingredients are the least of my costs for cakes. The labor is the most costly thing and it takes the same amount of time to decorate a dummy tier as a cake tier.

TexasSugar Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 5:48pm
post #10 of 13

Search past posts because there are some on this subject.

Dummy cakes don't meant cheaper cakes.

Ingredients are only a part of the price factor. And while you don't have to bake a cake you still have to buy dummies (in my case have them shipped to me) and using icing on it.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 7:30pm
post #11 of 13

Not only should you find out what the average price is in your area when determining a price for your friend's daughter's cake but you should also consider your skill level. You said that you've never made a wedding cake. Have you ever stacked a cake? I'm only asking because I looked in your photos and none of your cakes are stacked. In my opinion it isn't just the amount of servings and the time involved in making and decorating a cake that should be considered. The quality of work and how well a cake is executed is a huge factor. I'm not trying to be offensive to the op in anyway but I've seen so many of these type of threads where the op that is inquiring about how much to charge is encouraged to charge xxxxx amount of dollars without even knowing the quality of work or skill level that they are capable of.

malene541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malene541 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 7:54pm
post #12 of 13

I agree with mamawrobin.
I am licensed to make cakes from my home and think I finally have the hang of it. I also have a friend who is not licensed and hasn't quite got the details figured out on a perfect cake. (not that licensing is a big deal just showing that one of us is more serious about making cakes than the other) She isn't looking to make money she just enjoys the hobby. If I charged $400 for a cake she would probably charge $200 for the same one. She would also only make a wedding cake for a very close friend or family member though too. ?? IMO wedding cakes are a little more serious business than a birthday cake.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 7:58pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by malene541

I agree with mamawrobin.
I am licensed to make cakes from my home and think I finally have the hang of it. I also have a friend who is not licensed and hasn't quite got the details figured out on a perfect cake. (not that licensing is a big deal just showing that one of us is more serious about making cakes than the other) She isn't looking to make money she just enjoys the hobby. If I charged $400 for a cake she would probably charge $200 for the same one. She would also only make a wedding cake for a very close friend or family member though too. ?? IMO wedding cakes are a little more serious business than a birthday cake.

Have to say that you have some beautiful cakes in your photos. I have several saved to my favorites. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%