Is Lard The Same As Crisco?

Baking By Amy061810 Updated 15 Jul 2010 , 2:37pm by mamawrobin

Amy061810 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy061810 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:05pm
post #1 of 7

i was wondering if lard was the same thing as crisco, or if it could be used in buttercream?

6 replies
emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:07pm
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy061810

i was wondering if lard was the same thing as crisco, or if it could be used in buttercream?

I think Crisco has a lard shortening, but what most bakers use is called vegetable shortening. The blue-labeled Crisco can is vegetable. Lard is meat-based shortening.

I would just look at the ingredients. If it says anything about meat, it's lard. icon_smile.gif

dreamcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakesmom Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:17pm
post #3 of 7

lard an animal based fat whereas crisco is not. I would not receommend it for making buttercream as it has a very distinct flavor which is not like Crisco.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:20pm
post #4 of 7

Emrldsky is right, shortening is vegetable fat. I wouldn't use lard.. yuck!

In the UK, shortening is the called Trex. In Australia, it is sort of like Copha (although there is a lot of arguments as to whether they are the same or not)

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:22pm
post #5 of 7

I'm no food safety expert, but I think that there is a better chance of lard spoiling, compared to crisco. BTW, I was being a cheapskate a few weeks ago and bought some cheap Wal-Mart GV brand veg.shortening. My BC was ALL wrong and had a horrible consistency- the shortening itself seemed a little squishy and not bright white like Crisco.
Stick with the Crisco, you can't go wrong. But if you experiment with lard let us all know how it goes... Maybe it's like the best ever and we don't know!

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:22pm
post #6 of 7

The only thing lard and Crisco have in common is the white color, basically. Lard is made from pig fat. It's awesome in pie crusts, but frosting.. NO! It's much softer at room temperature and when it gets really warm you can just stir it around with a spoon. I use lard in my pie crusts, there is nothing like it for an absolute flaky out of this world crust!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 2:37pm
post #7 of 7

No, it isn't the same. Lard is made from pig fat and Crisco is an all vegetable shortening. Like kansaslaura said lard also has a much lower melting point than Crisco.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%