Cake Supplies Cost

Decorating By EvArt Updated 15 Jul 2010 , 8:34pm by Apti

EvArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvArt Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 2:48am
post #1 of 5

Hi all. I've started decorating cakes for family and friends lately. No formal training. My problem or argument with myself is the cost of making a cake for someone else as opposed to making one for personal use. lol Crazy I know.

I want to make a Tinkerbell decorated cake for my oldest daughter this weekend. My plan includes the use of Buttercream, Fondant and Some Royal Icing (all homemade of course). Sent hubby to store to get supplies and then I'm arguing with myself.... Need 3-4lbs PS for layer, crumb coat, piping and edging; need 1-2lbs PS for the royal; need 2-3lbs for fondant; then there's the butter and the.......

Yeah, see what I mean? When I set down and really figure out how much goes inbto making ONE cake that I'm not making anything back on, it gets a little whelming!! lol I want to make the awesome cake I have pictured in my head for my daughter, yet I'm arguing over the cost to make it as pictured!! lol

Probably more of a venting post than anything else. Sorry

4 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:27am
post #2 of 5

It IS expensive to make cakes...especially if you are not doing enough of them to buy anything in bulk...but the look on your daughter's face...priceless.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 4:14am
post #3 of 5

Yes, fancy cakes made at home are very expensive! NOT counting all the pans, my time, molds, luster dusts, etc. I figured out a basic WASC 2-layer 8" or 10" (or 24 cupcakes) is about $9.10, add 1-1/2 batches of buttercream and it is now $10.60. Add fondant and is is now $11.10. These costs reflect every ingredient/supply bought on sale or with 40% off coupon. If I just went to the grocery store and the craft store and bought ingredients/supplies without sales/coupons, add about another $5 or $6.
(This includes a cake board, disposable piping bag, baggies, wax paper, parchment, containers for RI, Viva paper towels, toothpicks, color, and DH cake mix doctored with sour cream/almond, BC ingredients, fondant)

You could just buy a great tasting sheet cake that feeds 20-30 at Costco for $17--but, when a family member or dear friend calls you the "Cake Boss"--it's priceless!

EvArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvArt Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 6:04am
post #4 of 5

APTI - EXACTLY!! lol
I won't be starting a cake business that produces much profit, but I do like making them for friends and family. My last cake, my 16 yr old daughter sat down and started calculating the cost difference between using BC and MMF. And even told me tonight before going out with dad to get my supplies, as I'm arguing the cheapest way to make a speacial cake, she says, "Mom, You can't do it just in BC. We talked about this and it's cheaper to use MMF." I couldn't argue that!! lol

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 8:34pm
post #5 of 5

EvArt,
I've been keeping a running tally of ALL my expenses since I started this "little hobby" (HA!!!) I can tell you exactly what the costs are and what you can anticipate and where to get the cheapest supplies if you like. If you wish, just PM me and we can exchange regular email addresses. Everybody on CC is wonderful, aren't they? When I posted a similar thread they all asked: what kind of cakes? how many cakes? How often would you be making cakes?

My problem is that I got so excited that I want to do it ALL, ALL at once! Started with basic buttercream, then got excited about fillings and cake doctor recipes, then candy, ooooh! then found out you can wrap cake in chocolate, fondant, gumpaste sculptures/flowers, lace, RI stringwork, cookies, different shaped pans, reference books, etc. etc. etc. molds, luster dusts, disco dust, colors, shapes & flavors OH MY!

Somebody needs to say: STEP AWAY FROM THE CAKES!!! (but of course, no one will 'cause they really like the cakes, sigh...) Besides, I wouldn't listen--it's too much fun. Feel free to contact me anytime!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%