Hersheys Chocolate Cake Recipe

Decorating By mindy1204 Updated 15 Jul 2010 , 5:49pm by _christina_

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 2:25pm
post #1 of 19

I read a few posts on here about this cake and how fabulous it is. I am going to make it this week for the top tier of a 6,8 inch cake. Question is will I have batter left over if using it for a F inch and if so does this batter work well for cupcakes! Thank you!

18 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 19

Yes .... why wouldn't it? I don't have special recipes for cupcakes. In my world, cake is cake no matter what pan you bake it in. thumbs_up.gif

And this is the only scratch cake I can make and it turns out right! icon_biggrin.gif

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 3:56pm
post #3 of 19

I love this recipe and use it all the time. I know it by heart!

It is great for cupcakes. I just made some the other day and I had enough batter for 24 cupcakes and a single 6in round.

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 4:31pm
post #4 of 19

Looking for the recipe....any suggestions?
Thanks

leafO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leafO Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 4:35pm
post #5 of 19

Love this recipe! I usually make mini cupcakes with any extra batter. My kids love it, they are little and it's a great size for them.

tmelrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmelrose Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 4:41pm
post #6 of 19

Mmmmm this recipe is delicious! Their chocolate icing to match is great too! bmoser24 the recipe is on the Hershey's cocoa can or you could look it up on Hersheys.com

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 4:50pm
post #7 of 19

This is the only chocolate cake recipe I use.

mindy1204 Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 4:57pm
post #8 of 19

Thanks! I have read that some cake recipes cause cupcakes to sink in the middle so I wanted to make sure! I am excited to try it..

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 5:04pm
post #9 of 19

Oh my, i'm looking @ hershey's web site now...32 pgs! What recipe do you use??

leafO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leafO Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 5:16pm
post #10 of 19

I use the Herseys perfectly chocolate cake recipe that is printed on the back of their cocoa boxes. Here is a link to it on the Hersey website.

http://www.hersheys.com/recipes/recipes/detail.asp?id=184&page=1&per=25&omnituresearch=true&keyword=perfectly%20chocoalte%20cake&rectypecat=

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 5:18pm
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy1204

I have read that some cake recipes cause cupcakes to sink in the middle .

This recipe is great for cakes and cupcakes. Will not sink in the middle/

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 5:40pm
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy1204

I have read that some cake recipes cause cupcakes to sink in the middle .

This recipe is great for cakes and cupcakes. Will not sink in the middle/

Unless of course you live in a high altitude area...then you need to adjust it. The first couple times I made it, it sank terribly. Then I figured out the high altitude adjustments and it turns out great now. I also substitute very strong brewed coffee with the boiling water. Can't taste the coffee but it really brings out the chocolate flavor.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 11:30pm
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmelrose

Mmmmm this recipe is delicious! Their chocolate icing to match is great too! bmoser24 the recipe is on the Hershey's cocoa can or you could look it up on Hersheys.com

I took a cake to my sister last week, and just did a white cake iced in Hershey icing. No decoration .... just a cake to have with coffee.

Had lots of icing left over (I'd made a double batch) and it was sitting in the bowl on my counter when my daughter came over with the grandkids. I swear, I had my 17yr old daughter, my married daughter and 2 grandkids standing in the kitchen shoving spoons of icing into their mouths, moaning with chocolate ectasy! Daughter said, "You need pretzels to go with this." and I pointed out the bag of pretzels on the counter. Bam! All of them were dipping pretzels in the bowl of icing! My poor little 3 year old grandson reaching up with his hand saying, "I need a pwetzel! I need a pwetzel!"

mindy1204 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 4:35pm
post #14 of 19

I made the cake and thought it didn't look as pretty as the box mixes it was delicious! I brought the cupcakes to work which I do with a lot of leftovers and 2 co-workers said they were the best I have ever made. They were filled and topped with peanut butter butter-cream! Thanks everyone!

Btrfly578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Btrfly578 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 4:54pm
post #15 of 19

After reading all of the post's I'm definitely going to give this one a try. I've made the Chocolate Frosting and it is by far the best I've ever had. Oh, and I love the pretzel concept. Big, big fan of Chocolate covered pretzels.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 4:57pm
post #16 of 19

Yup, this is my go-to chocolate cake recipe...my base for my Death By Chocolate cake recipe. It's always a huge hit!

Peanut1027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peanut1027 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 5:17pm
post #17 of 19

You guys have me sold! I just printed the receipe and I can't wait to make it. Thanks to all thumbs_up.gif

_christina_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_christina_ Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 5:28pm
post #18 of 19

I have tried soooo many chocolate cake recipes. They are always dry and missing real chocolate flavor. The Hershey's recipe is great! There is a bakery called Vanilla Bake Shop who uses the same recipe but with melted butter rather than oil and adding 1T espresso powder to hot water in recipe (or you could just add fresh brewed coffee rather than water).

If you multiply the recipe, you do have to be careful because you don't need as much moisture. Also, the cakes don't dome up, they are pretty level. And don't overfill your pan, you'll have a big mess if you do.

Happy baking...this is the best chocolate cake I have found, thus far.

_christina_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_christina_ Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 5:49pm
post #19 of 19

I have tried soooo many chocolate cake recipes. They are always dry and missing real chocolate flavor. The Hershey's recipe is great! There is a bakery called Vanilla Bake Shop who uses the same recipe but with melted butter rather than oil and adding 1T espresso powder to hot water in recipe (or you could just add fresh brewed coffee rather than water).

If you multiply the recipe, you do have to be careful because you don't need as much moisture. Also, the cakes don't dome up, they are pretty level. And don't overfill your pan, you'll have a big mess if you do.

Happy baking...this is the best chocolate cake I have found, thus far.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%