Labeling Cakes Under Cottage Food Law

Business By jcasey51 Updated 21 Jan 2015 , 11:57pm by BakerBlackCat

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 8:20pm
post #31 of 37

I'm in Ohio, so check with your Dept of Agriculture regarding this. This is how I label and have the ingredient lists. I also use doctored box mixes for my chocolate, yellow, etc. cakes.

I attach a label on top of the box with my logo and all the required info:

First, I state my business name and that I am a State of Ohio cottage food production operation located at ... my address.

Then I put the rest:

VANILLA CAKE WITH
VANILLA BUTTER CREAM ICING & FILLING. DECORATED WITH FONDANT

This Product is Home Produced.

Please see sheet in the box for complete list of ingredients.

Product may contains allergens such as milk, soy, nuts, wheat, etc. Do not consume this product if you have
ANY food allergies

Net Weight: ____________________________

In the box I then tape the ingredient sheet to the lid of the box. I box all my cakes even my tiered, etc. I have attached a PDF that I use. You can find most of the ingredients (at least the brands that I use) online so all I have to do is cut and paste instead of retyping. I keep this on file in my computer - chocolate, lemon, etc. That way I just put together whatever list I need to depending on what they order.

Hope it helps. Again this is for Ohio.

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 6:37pm
post #32 of 37

mama, is there any way to enlarge the file you uploaded? I am curious to see how it's written out, but my eyes can't see that small print!

NellaVerde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NellaVerde Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 3:26am
post #33 of 37

Hey JCasy, I am super siked, excited, overjoyed, blessesed, happy, enlightened and thankful for the new cottage food law in our great state of Michigan. And thank you for the labeling link, that helps alot. If using a mix couldn't we just copy the ingredients on the back of the box, in that order, because they are already listed by weight. Then somehow incorporate the eggs and oil. Idk maybe im not that much help. But still super oooooober excited.

TheCakeShack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeShack Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 7:39pm
post #34 of 37

Is there anyone out there that has a home based cake business in Utah? I am trying to figure out how to Label my cakes. I have read what the cottage food law says, but it is not specific to cakes. Do I just label in order eg. Flour, sugar, butter... etc or do I need to specify. Butter (salt, pasteurized cream). Any ideas?

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 9:09am
post #35 of 37

NellaVerde, the mix weight is probably the heaviest so that is listed first with all of its ingredients in parentheses, then start on the next ingredient by weight.

asascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asascakes Posted 19 Jan 2015 , 10:56am
post #36 of 37

AHey all, I know this is an older thread but does anyone know the rules/ins-and-outs for labeling and "boxing" tiered cakes or cakes that are delivered/set up in California??

I already have a CFO in CA, recently established, but am not sure how I am supposed to "box" large cakes, the law doesn't specify.

Thanks everyone

BakerBlackCat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerBlackCat Posted 21 Jan 2015 , 11:57pm
post #37 of 37

Hi asascakes - I tried posting this before, but the post poofed into the ether, so if my original post ever shows up, apologies in advance for the duplicate!

I have a CFO in northern California, and I found these sites to be very helpful: (I hope the links work!)

California Homemade Food Act - this is the overall text of AB 1616.  While I read through the entire thing, I highly recommend starting with the .pdfs at the top, as they break things down into all the sections that I had questions on.  Also lists what you can and cannot sell under the act, e.g., cream cheese & custard-based somethings.

Cottage Food Law Summary - a great & easy to read summary of AB 1616, and includes some of the details of AB 1652, the update.  This article/summary also links back to the original California Department of Public Health Pages in case you need more clarity.

Specifically regarding the labeling requirements, I followed these instructions to the letter, and I box and label all of my product: Labeling Requirements

I use a 4x3" shipping-size label which lists (in this order): my bakery name, physical location address, the phrase "Made in a Home Kitchen" in the required 12-point font, my health permit number & issuing county, the ingredients listed in descending weight (I also break this up into "Cake", "Buttercream", etc.), an allergen listing (in boldface), the net quantity in pounds/ounces + grams, and finally, the Best By date.

It fits on there nicely, and is easy to read.

I also use what I call a "flavor sticker" on the top/front of my boxes, to indicate which flavor and any allergens, mostly nuts.  For example, my carrot cake contains pecans, so my label says "Carrot Cake | Contains pecans."

Hope this helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%