Need Ideas For Pink/purple Color Scheme

Decorating By nonilm Updated 31 Jul 2010 , 11:31pm by nonilm

nonilm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonilm Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 4:54pm
post #1 of 8

Making a graduation cake this weekend. Will be 10" and 6" rounds stacked. Topper will be a white graduation cap. Graduate wants bright pink and purple colors. Mom showed me a design idea she would like. Scrolls on the 10" cake, dots on the 6" cake, border of dots and roses on each tier with a bow on front of 6". Seems like a lot going on so I want to make sure it doesn't look gawdy when done.

Should both tiers be same color? Should I add some white dots in border to tie it together? I was thinking purple bottom tier and pink top tier but now I'm not so sure.

Looking forward to all your wonderful ideas!

7 replies
yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 4:28am
post #2 of 8

Here's my idea.

Board- covered in pink paper and purple feather boa around sides or vice versa ( a little bigger decorative board than usual so the cake can be pushed back to make room for the message)

Bottom tier- iced in white, two rows of pink and purple fondant diamonds (alternating colors top and bottom) white dragees at each point, white fondant ball borders, a few ribbon roses on sides at border.

Top tier- color this whatever color your boa is, white fondant ribbon going around the middle of the tier with a white bow attached at center front, opposite colored fondant circles randomly above and below ribbon

Topper- grad hat in white, pink and purple tassle

I hope you have the funky tappits cutters they're so girly. You could put 2010 across the front of the hat alternating pink and purple and name and message could go on board in white.

yummy Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 4:31am
post #3 of 8

For me visuals help. Here's the diamonds.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1692197.html

yummy Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 4:42am
post #4 of 8

If you eliminate the top tier on this cake and picture the circles above and below the ribbon, what I described would look like this.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1601516.html

yummy Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 4:44am
post #5 of 8
nonilm Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 5:07pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks for the ideas yummy!

I don't have the funky tappits, but I want them! I love how they look. I guess I should just break down and order them.

yummy Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 5:54pm
post #7 of 8

When is the cake due, do you have time to order them?

nonilm Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 11:31pm
post #8 of 8

Just wanted to follow up and post the finished cake....

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1758144

yummy - I loved the diamonds idea but she wanted scrolls. And I did order the tappits icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%