Has This Happened To You?!?!?

Decorating By Cheneya Updated 12 Jul 2010 , 6:04pm by mamawrobin

Cheneya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cheneya Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 4:43pm
post #1 of 10

I don't call my self a pro by any means, but I'm far from being a newbie cake maker. Which is my I was stumped when I had two things happen to a cake I made this weekend that had never happened before. First, I airbrushed my buttercream with pearl dust. (I have airbrushed BC several times in the past without any issues) My butter cream was as smooth as a baby's butt before and during the airbrushing. I use the paint roller technique I learned on CC. After about an hour in the fridge, my icing looked like I had imprinted it with a crumpled paper bag. The other problem I had was an air bubble about the size of an egg that kept popping up in the same spot. I removed one of the fondant dots, poked a hole to release the air and put the dot back. Within 30 minutes, it returned. I repaired the same spot four times. I know this is not uncommon with fondant, but this air bubble was under butter cream.

Has either of the issues happened to anyone else and what steps can I take to prevent them next time?

BTW - The cake turned out fine and the customer was extremely happy with it. She didn't notice either flaw.
LL

9 replies
pupandbon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pupandbon Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 5:09pm
post #2 of 10

I have recently started having this same issue. I've searched the previous posts and found what I think may be my problem. I freeze my cakes and apparently I'm not letting them completely defrost so the air that comes out in that process is causing it and mine is in buttercream as well...

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 5:32pm
post #3 of 10

That cake is GORGEOUS! :] I love it!

As for the air bubbles I only have this problem when my cake goes from a cooler environment to a warmer one. I don't refrigerate BUT when I make the cake and have it sitting inside and then take it outside (during delivery) this is when it happens to me.

Did you have temperature changes with your cake?

Cheneya Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 5:40pm
post #4 of 10

JaeRodriguez - The cakes had been at room temp for about 24 hours. Then I iced and airbrushed the cake. At that point, I put it in the fridge to "set-up" until I could decorate it the next night...so it was in the fridge for about 24 hours. Do you think it was because the spray hadn't fully dried?

pupandbon - I soon as I saw the air bubble, I was scouring the forum for posts with answers and like you....couldn't find any info on it. And more strange, was when I cut the cake, the icing on the piece with the air bubble, just peeled right off, like it didn't adhere to the cake at all. And like I said earlier. It only happened on that one spot. The rest of the cake was fine.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 5:42pm
post #5 of 10

I agree with Jae. I never refrigerate a cake. It is so hot and humid here that if I took a cake out of the fridge and introduced it to the outside heat and humidity it would melt within minutes. icon_lol.gif I keep my cakes at room temperature and they do very well even when they are delivered to outdoor events.

Are you crumbcoating or icing a frozen, partially frozen or very cold cake?? If so this could be your problem. I crumbcoated and iced a partially frozen cake once and it formed a huge bubble just like you described.

I love your cake BTW....you did an awesome job and I'm sure the customer was thrilled with their cake. I know I would have been thumbs_up.gif

Cheneya Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 5:48pm
post #6 of 10

Not completely change the topic of my post....because I would like as many opions of it as possible, but:

mamawrobin - Quick question - How lond do you "not refridgerate" a cake. I had fininshed this cake on Friday night for a Saturday delivery.

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 5:49pm
post #7 of 10

Cheneya, what your describing with the BC pulled off of the cake is exactly what mine look like when I have them. I can't say for sure but I am thinking that with you being in Texas maybe the heat was the culprit as well. I doubt it would be the spray not being dry (for the air bubble) but I can't say for sure because I've never airbrushed.

mamawrobin, wasn't there a thread where we were discussing this a few days ago and a couple of us all had this same problem when a temperature change was involved in the equation? I can't remember if it was this or something else! icon_razz.gif

mamawrobin Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 5:59pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheneya

Not completely change the topic of my post....because I would like as many opions of it as possible, but:

mamawrobin - Quick question - How lond do you "not refridgerate" a cake. I had fininshed this cake on Friday night for a Saturday delivery.

I usually try to have my cakes finished at least the day before delivery so that I have time to fix any problems that I may run into. I just put it in a box and leave at room temperature. I had a cancellation for a birthday cake that was already completed and I cut it after 3 days it was perfectly moist and fresh. If you don't use a perishable filling there is no need to refrigerate.

Cheneya Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 6:02pm
post #9 of 10

I don't think the wrinkly, airbrushed BC and the air bubble are related. They happened about 24 hours apart. I had iced and air brushed the cake on Thur. and put it in the fridge until I could work on it Fri. night. When I pulled it from the fridge Friday, I noticed the wrinkles. I just tried to cover the really noticable ones with dots. It went back into the fridge after all the fondant accents were on. I looked at the cake about 2 hours later before I went to bed (because I am such a paranoid nut about cake disasters) and that's when I noticed the first bubble. I released the air and had my DL look at it first thing Saturday morning....I was too scared to find the cake either covered in bubbles or that all of the icing had peeled off...lol. Luckily, all that I found was the same bubble....BACK AGAIN. It was repaired and then reappeared 3 more times.

mamawrobin Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 6:04pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeRodriguez

Cheneya, what your describing with the BC pulled off of the cake is exactly what mine look like when I have them. I can't say for sure but I am thinking that with you being in Texas maybe the heat was the culprit as well. I doubt it would be the spray not being dry (for the air bubble) but I can't say for sure because I've never airbrushed.

mamawrobin, wasn't there a thread where we were discussing this a few days ago and a couple of us all had this same problem when a temperature change was involved in the equation? I can't remember if it was this or something else! icon_razz.gif

Jae..you're absolutely right. That is one reason for me NOT to refrigerate. If I take a cake out of the fridge and take it outside where it's 100+ degrees with 110% humidity...I am going to have sever problems with the cake. If I take a cake that has been kept at room temperature into those conditions it isn't "shocked" and will hold up fine. Of course I do use Indydebi's buttercream which is "humidity friendly" so that I don't have to worry about the extreme heat and humidity affecting my cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%