Should I Cover A Frozen Or Refrigerated Cake In Fondont?

Decorating By mom2my3girlz Updated 12 Jul 2010 , 7:46pm by mamawrobin

mom2my3girlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2my3girlz Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 6:06am
post #1 of 15

What is the best way to cover cake in fondont? frozen, chilled in refrig or room temp.?

14 replies
illustreeous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
illustreeous Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 6:55am
post #2 of 15

room temp! i learned the hard way cause im alwaus rushing lol
frozen or chilled depending on the buttercream u use underneath can really get you in a pickle after heat surrounds it during delivery or even before!
give your cake time to settle after torting and filling + coating.. an 1 or two in the fridge then take it out to room temp for at least 15-20 minutes before covering :]
i'm in southern cal & I prepare for the worst after all my experiences ahaha goodluck!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 12:10pm
post #3 of 15

Room temperature. I do "flash freeze" right before covering. A technique that I learned from Sharon (sugarshack) I put my cake in the freezer for 15 minutes (not a second longer) right before I'm ready to cover with fondant.
This will firm up your cake without changing the temperature of your cake.
15 minutes in the freezer isn't long enough to alter the "room temperature" internal temperature of your cake, but it is long enough to make it good and firm for covering. thumbs_up.gif

graciesj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
graciesj Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 1:05pm
post #4 of 15

[quote="mamawrobin"]Room temperature. I do "flash freeze" right before covering. A technique that I learned from Sharon (sugarshack) I put my cake in the freezer for 15 minutes (not a second longer) right before I'm ready to cover with fondant.
This will firm up your cake without changing the temperature of your cake.
15 minutes in the freezer isn't long enough to alter the "room temperature" internal temperature of your cake, but it is long enough to make it good and firm for covering. thumbs_up.gif[/quote]

I'm curious, do u place the fondant over the "chilled" bc icing or lay a new layer on before covering with fondant? icon_smile.gif

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 2:14pm
post #5 of 15

I'm pretty sure she covers the chilled BC

egensinnig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egensinnig Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 2:42pm
post #6 of 15

I always keep my filled cake in the fridge both before and after crumbcoating. I roll out my fondant, bring out my cake, cover it and tehn back in the fridge utnil I'm ready to decorate. And have never had any trouble so far...

mom2my3girlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2my3girlz Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 2:57pm
post #7 of 15

My cakes are usually frozen when I cover them. I think that is the problem.

Larkin121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Larkin121 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 3:00pm
post #8 of 15

I do mine very very very cold. Cold cake, iced in SMBC, refrigerated until SMBC is totally hard, then cover with fondant because I can smooth the fondant without squishing any icing and get a much cleaner, sharper look, sort of like with those who use ganache (which I sometimes use, too). Then after the cake is done, it goes back in the fridge since I used perishable ingredients. No problems - works great!

graciesj Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 3:15pm
post #9 of 15

[quote="egensinnig"]I always keep my filled cake in the fridge both before and after crumbcoating. I roll out my fondant, bring out my cake, cover it and tehn back in the fridge utnil I'm ready to decorate. And have never had any trouble so far...[/quote]

do u mind me asking what fondant u use? I use MMF! icon_smile.gif

graciesj Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 3:18pm
post #10 of 15

[quote="graciesj"][quote="egensinnig"]I always keep my filled cake in the fridge both before and after crumbcoating. I roll out my fondant, bring out my cake, cover it and tehn back in the fridge utnil I'm ready to decorate. And have never had any trouble so far...[/quote]

do u mind me asking what fondant u use? I use MMF! icon_smile.gif[/quote]
Also I'm filling the cakes with BAVARIAN CREAM(ready made) is this considered a parishable item?

Larkin121 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 3:23pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by graciesj

Also I'm filling the cakes with BAVARIAN CREAM(ready made) is this considered a parishable item?

If it's the sleeve filling kind, then it's not perishable and can stay out of the fridge.

Regarding the use of fondant in the fridge, most commercial brands are fine in the fridge and even say so on the packaging. In my experience, Michelle Foster's fondant also works. MMF seemed less stable, but I haven't used it much so maybe someone else can answer that. I've been using Satin Ice and it's been great in the fridge.

graciesj Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 3:34pm
post #12 of 15

[quote="Larkin121"][quote="graciesj"]
Also I'm filling the cakes with BAVARIAN CREAM(ready made) is this considered a parishable item?[/quote]

If it's the sleeve filling kind, then it's not perishable and can stay out of the fridge.

Regarding the use of fondant in the fridge, most commercial brands are fine in the fridge and even say so on the packaging. In my experience, Michelle Foster's fondant also works. MMF seemed less stable, but I haven't used it much so maybe someone else can answer that. I've been using and it's been great in the fridge.[/quote]

I've never chilled any of my cakes because I haven't used any perishable items. So I'm tempted to try it and see what happens.
The cake supply store where I buy my fondant say that it's not necessary to chill unless of course u have perishable fillings. the cake is due tomorrow and I'm still not sure what to do icon_cry.gificon_cool.gif

mamawrobin Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 6:55pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkin121

Quote:

Regarding the use of fondant in the fridge, most commercial brands are fine in the fridge and even say so on the packaging. In my experience, Michelle Foster's fondant also works. MMF seemed less stable, but I haven't used it much so maybe someone else can answer that. I've been using and it's been great in the fridge.

I've never chilled any of my cakes because I haven't used any perishable items. So I'm tempted to try it and see what happens.
The cake supply store where I buy my fondant say that it's not necessary to chill unless of course u have perishable fillings. the cake is due tomorrow and I'm still not sure what to do icon_cry.gificon_cool.gif

Unless you're using a perishable filling I'd keep it out of the fridge. But that's just what I would do. You have to do what works for YOU. Putting a cake in the fridge DOES NOT work for me. I did that once and had TERRIBLE results.

Larkin121 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 7:33pm
post #14 of 15

If there's nothing perishable in it, I'm not sure why you'd refrigerate after putting fondant on. Sometimes I feel bad that it doesn't work for some people in really high humidity, 'cause I would be lost without all my perishable stuff!

mamawrobin Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 7:46pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkin121

If there's nothing perishable in it, I'm not sure why you'd refrigerate after putting fondant on. Sometimes I feel bad that it doesn't work for some people in really high humidity, 'cause I would be lost without all my perishable stuff!

Yeah...my daughter Loves SMBC....I only use it if I'm making a cake for her. I'd love to be able to use it some and I actually do in the months that I can get by doing so. I also like the SMBC but I just cannot risk having issues with my cakes this time of year...it's just not worth the hassle. Been there..done that icon_lol.gif At least there are a few months out of the year that I can "branch out" and offer a wider variety of things without having any problems.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%