My First Real Cake Disaster

Decorating By mom2twogrlz Updated 14 Jul 2010 , 5:07am by mom2twogrlz

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 6:51pm
post #1 of 9

Well, it happened, I had my first cake crumble and fall on the way to the party. We made it all the way to the house, but as I parked the car it crumbled and fell. I guess I took to the curb a little too fast!

I think there were many errors, any one of them could have been fatal. One, I did not refrigerate my cake before transport, since it was all airbrushed, I didn't want it too bleed. Two, I transported in one piece, since the party was only 5 blocks away. The lighted tower was too much weight to be transported in place. I knew this but I needed to do teh final design elements with it in place. I should have just done it there at the party. Three, the middle tier was a little lopsided. And four, I think I used too many dowels.

And I didn't even get a picture before I transported.

UUGGGG....you live and you learn right?????

Here are a few pictures for your enjoyment!!!
LL

8 replies
mom2twogrlz Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 6:53pm
post #2 of 9

Here's the crumpled bottom tier.
LL

mom2twogrlz Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 6:54pm
post #3 of 9

This is what I was able to salvage. Still kinda cute, minus the cracks.
LL

mom2twogrlz Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 6:55pm
post #4 of 9

And the lighted cake stand....such a cute design element, but oh did it go so wrong. But I will try again, yes I will!!!
LL

Kibosh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kibosh Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 7:16pm
post #5 of 9

Oh, I'm so sorry for you. I couldn't imagine how you felt when you realized it fell icon_cry.gif

Well, on the bright side, it looked fantastic and what a great idea!
Hopefully your clients were not too angry, but more sympathetic.

As you said, live and learn. You know all the errors you made and can only learn not to make them again.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 7:41pm
post #6 of 9

Good save!

Now can we talk about SPS? Although even with SPS you couldn't transport with the lighted stand in place.

mom2twogrlz Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 7:54pm
post #7 of 9

I know it leah_s. I think I am gonna have to give them a try. And Yes, the lighted cake stand was the fatal error. I think all the others would have been ok. I guess I should have just gone with my gut and set it up there.

And luckily it was for a friend, so although it was disappointing, it wasn't too bad. They were so grateful for the effort that they tried to pay we anyway. Of course I declined. I didn't think it was right that they should pay just because they are my friend, a true "client" would have never payed for that.

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 5:01am
post #8 of 9

Oh, that's so sad, after all that work and such an awesome design. I'm sorry that happened to you. Thanks for sharing your story.

mom2twogrlz Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 5:07am
post #9 of 9

It was so sad. It was such a cute cake, and the girl it was for is the sweetest little 11 year old ever! I felt horrible. Luckily, true to her nature, she was grateful for what I did for her anyway, saying, "does that mean I can eat some now?" I love that girl!!! She shrugged it off and wen ton like it was no big deal.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%