Royal Icing Vs. Buttercream?

Decorating By anthropia Updated 14 Jul 2010 , 2:22pm by Unlimited

anthropia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anthropia Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 4:59pm
post #1 of 8

Can I get Royal Icing to be rose red?

I will be making my first wedding cake when I'm 8 months pregnant, a white cake with red roses (all buttercream).
- Will it be better for me to do the red roses in RI so I can do it far in advance?
- Or can I make them out of crusting buttercream few days ahead and arrange them as easily on the cake?
- Is it more likely that the red color from the buttercream will bleed into the white color than the royal icing color?

I'll appreciate all your help and comments icon_smile.gif

7 replies
myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 6:14pm
post #2 of 8

Would you be able to make the roses out of gumpaste or fondant? The reason being is that the buttercream will soften the royal no matter how much in advance you make them.

Try both and see which one works for you better

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 8:07pm
post #3 of 8

I don't use royal icing for roses... you wouldn't want anyone to break a tooth trying to eat one of those.

If you make them from bc in advance, they will air dry allowing you to pick them up and place them where you'd like on the cake (instead of leaving them where ever they happen to fall!)

Red roses won't bleed onto the white iced cake as long as they are completely air dried, and you don't try freezing/refrigerating either the cake or roses. (frozen roses can go limp when they thaw if they weren't thoroughly air dried to begin with.)

anthropia Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 10:14am
post #4 of 8

myslady, I've never worked with fondant or gumpaste so that is not an option for me:/ I have to work on that when I have time after my next babyicon_smile.gif

Unlimited I was planing on freezing the cake. My first wilton instructor always froze her cakes, and since I took her class I've done the same. So should I skip it this time so I'll be 100% sure I will not have any color bleeding?

Thank you for your replies icon_smile.gif

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 10:26am
post #5 of 8

anthropia I have a air dried butter cream for making roses recipe somewhere in my huge stack of recipes. You pipe the flowers and let them air dry. They get firm enough to place on the cake but not hard like royal. Let me dig through my pile and see if I can find it for you. If I don't get back to you by tomorrow evening PM me just encase I forget.

anthropia Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 10:35am
post #6 of 8

sweettreat101 Thank You SO Much!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_razz.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 1:41pm
post #7 of 8

You can use any basic buttercream recipe and leave the roses out to air dry. You can do this a week or two weeks or what ever before the event. I would make sure that you keep them covered, like in a cardboard cake box so they don't get dusty, but don't put them in an airtight container or they won't be able to dry out.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 2:22pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthropia

Unlimited I was planing on freezing the cake. My first wilton instructor always froze her cakes, and since I took her class I've done the same. So should I skip it this time so I'll be 100% sure I will not have any color bleeding?

There's nothing wrong with freezing a baked cake, just expect to have some color bleeding if you are freezing an entire fully decorated cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%