Has Anyone Ever Made A Cake That Is Made Of Cinnamon Buns?

Decorating By 4Shauna Updated 22 Aug 2010 , 9:00pm by 4Shauna

4Shauna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Shauna Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 4:15pm
post #1 of 16

Hi. I am new here. I must say, I love this website! I've got a strange one here. My niece wants me to make her wedding cake and has a very unique idea. I am not sure I can pull this off, but she wants me to make a tiered cake out of cinnamon buns. I am assuming I can bake the buns in the cake pans and using a cream cheese frosting, frost them to look like a solid cake. I am really nervous to do this because I don't know anybody who has ever attempted it, and would hate for it to flop. Any ideas?

15 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 4:44pm
post #2 of 16

Oh wow I think that would be a GREAT idea! I think baking them in the round pans would be perfect and that they'd hold just fine.

I'd just make sure whoever is cutting it is using a really nice SHARP knife because it might be trickier to cut....?

Also, I wonder if it would bake right if, instead of making small cinnamon buns...if you rolled a strip really thin and then rolled one huge cinnamon bun (thin strips of dough so that there's enough cinnamon in each slice) so that it fills about 2/3 of the round pan, and rises to fill it...so that it would be like one big cinnamon bun the size of the pan...then level the top...then the cream cheese filling.

Man. Now I wanna try it...

Kibosh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kibosh Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 4:57pm
post #3 of 16

No, but I'd sure love to eat one!! icon_biggrin.gif

That does sound kind of tricky, but I like kitagrl's idea.

Good luck thumbs_up.gif

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 5:05pm
post #4 of 16

Sounds like the "monkey bread" my kiddos made in preschool! I had to to pull out the 18yo piece of paper! Here ya go! HTH

Monkey Bread
3 cans refrig. biscuits
1 cup sugar
3 tsp cinnamon

Cut biscuits into 4ths; toll in cinnamon/sugar mixture.
Place in greased bundt pan.

1 cup brown sugar
1 stick margarine

Melt together and pour over top of biscuits. Bake at 350 for 30 min.

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 5:08pm
post #5 of 16

Hi 4shauna, welcome to CC!

Well, I've seen twinkie wedding cakes and did come across a donut wedding cake at one time so its probably doable with cinnamon rolls. I'm not sure how you'd keep the buns from slipping all over though as they're not that even after baking. You'd have to stack them which would squish the layer underneath, and use a lot of dowels which would end up putting a lot of holes in them so I don't know if it would be the best idea?

I did a quick search just to see if there might possibly be a cinnamon roll wedding cake on the net as you never know what can be found, but no had luck on that. But, I did come across a cinnamon roll cake recipe & a cinnamon bun cake recipe.. Both start with a mix, with the second recipe using more ingredients.

Its just a thought but maybe making a cinnamon roll/bun flavored cake with frosting of choice would be a nice comprimise for your niece?
And, easier on you too!

Heres the recipes. Second recipe I found on the fresh loaf website. it had great feedback from one of the members that made it.

Good luck on whatever you decide!

http://angiessimplecooking.wordpress.com/2008/04/20/cinnamon-roll-cake/

http://www.grouprecipes.com/49620/cinnamon-bun-cake.html

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 5:13pm
post #6 of 16

Cinnabons!!! http://www.cinnabon.com/experience/index.html#

now that's a cinnamon bun

here's a clone recipe:
http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/clone-of-a-cinnabon/Detail.aspx

One thing I'd do -- use 3" deep pans and collar them so can easily get a full 4" height in one piece. that would hold together better than many smaller ones backed together.

of course slather on a first rate creme cheese icing.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 5:18pm
post #7 of 16

There is also a wonderful Snickerdoodle cake recipe here on CC that my family loves.

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 5:19pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

Cinnabons!!! http://www.cinnabon.com/experience/index.html#

now that's a cinnamon bun

here's a clone recipe:
http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/clone-of-a-cinnabon/Detail.aspx

One thing I'd do -- use 3" deep pans and collar them so can easily get a full 4" height in one piece. that would hold together better than many smaller ones backed together.

of course slather on a first rate creme cheese icing.

Gotta Love Doug. He is always full of great ideas!!! I think that would work wonderfully.

karabeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karabeal Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 5:25pm
post #9 of 16

Another idea would be to go with the French croquembouche style . . . but with small cinnamon rolls instead of cream puffs.

For an example, see http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1585674.

However you make it, I wish I were there to eat it!

4Shauna Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 5:43pm
post #10 of 16

Thanks everybody for the great ideas! This will be interesting. The wedding isnt until the 3rd of October, so I think I will make a sample cake for my family to see how it turns out and slices! I don't think they will complain! icon_wink.gif

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 6:05pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Shauna

Thanks everybody for the great ideas! This will be interesting. The wedding isnt until the 3rd of October, so I think I will make a sample cake for my family to see how it turns out and slices! I don't think they will complain! icon_wink.gif

Good luck on your experiments 4shauna! Be sure to give us updates on how its going. And, thanks for posting your question too, cause now I've got a yen to make me a cinnamon bun cake! icon_wink.gif

PS.. Doug.. You're so smart! thumbs_up.gif

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 7:22pm
post #12 of 16

That sounds so good.....now I am getting hungry. Let us know how the trial run goes....I'll be anxious to hear!

4Shauna Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 7:38pm
post #13 of 16

Kitagrl ~~ I like the idea of one big cinnamon bun. I think I'll try that. It sounds easier than several small ones. icon_biggrin.gif

4Shauna Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 10:47pm
post #14 of 16

Kitagrl ~ Just wondering if you ever tried to make a big cinnamon bun cake. I ended up not even trying yet, because my niece changed her mind. She wants to have three tiers (Top) a fondant covered chocolate cake (Middle and Bottom) cupcakes and mini blueberry pies around the bottom tier.

smokeysmokerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smokeysmokerton Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 10:11am
post #15 of 16

I actually had a cinnamon roll "cake" for my wedding. We got married on the beach at sunrise and had a breakfast reception. My mom ordered the HUGE cinnamon rolls from this amazing bakery and she made the stand and tiered them, and frosted them with what has to be to this day the best cream cheese icing I have ever had. It was a neat idea and fit perfectly with the wedding(who wants cake at 8am?) and man, was it good!

4Shauna Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 9:00pm
post #16 of 16

Oh, I am so excited that somebody has tried it, and it was successful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%