Sculpting Help Needed Asap

Decorating By DanielleRG Updated 22 Jul 2010 , 1:52pm by DanielleRG

DanielleRG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanielleRG Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 5:01am
post #1 of 11

Ok I am making my niece and nephew's birthday cakes tomorrow for their party on Sunday. I have my niece's cake all planned out (Tinkerbell cake). Where I need help is with my nephew's cake. He wants a zombie theme. SO I decided to make him the head of the clown zombie off of the movie zombieland. My questions are:

Do I need to freeze the cake before sculpting? ( I am using a box vanilla cake mix because that is what he wants.)

If I do freeze it for how long?

Then after I get it sculpting in the shape of a head do I let it thaw completely before covering in fondant?

I have never sculpted a cake before and need all info please!!! Thanks in advance.

10 replies
tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 5:10am
post #2 of 11

I have only done a few but I freeze my cakes after I make them and take them out when I need them..usually within a day or two. So I would def. say a couple hours at least, prob overnight. Carve while as hard as they can be, so right out of the freezer..and yes I would wait until they thaw b4 covering..though I never think about that b/c by the time I finish carving and I take a breather my cakes are done thawing anyway!

JanetBme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetBme Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 6:29am
post #3 of 11

yes, definately freeze them. I do sculpted alot...and it is soooo much easier to work with frozen cake. Even the base coat will go on a whole lot easier if it is frozen. If you can, I'd still make your cake a pound version- just for the texture- it is a whole lot less crummy. Usually cakes are pretty thawed by the time I fondant mine too- but If it fits back in the freezer- I stick it back in for at least another 30 minutes to firm up before putting the fondant on it. If you are just doing a crusting buttercream instead of fondant- then you just have to wait a bit longer or use a fan to make it crust. You probably already know this but.... You are supporting the head right? I mean, yeah you can carve that head outta cake, but if it doesn't have a base board under the chin, it will fall right off in pieces as soon as it has warmed up.

I hope your cake turn outs fantastic!

DanielleRG Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 2:44pm
post #4 of 11

Thanks everyone. I just used a BC brand french vanilla because that is what he likes the best. I honestly hadn't thought about supports of any kind. I guess i better get on that. lol. If it turns out like it is suppose to it will just be a head on a cake board no neck. The chin will touch the cake board i hope. You all have been very helpful. Will post pictures when I get it done. THanks again.

MessMaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessMaker Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 8:45pm
post #5 of 11

here is a dr. cake box rec. great for sculpting/carving, the only one i use....

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/1972/durable-cake-for-3d-and-wedding-cakes

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 8:52pm
post #6 of 11

I freeze my cakes before I carve them, but don't carve them frozen. It is extremely dangerous because it is so hard and your knife can slip. I learned this is a sculpted cake class with the queen of cake carvers - Bronwen Weber.

I let it warm a little but still very firm and then I carve. You can use any cake to carve. I just use whatever the customer wants. I used WASC, chocolate, even recently, I carved a 1968 Mustang from a strawberry cake. The customer wanted strawberry cake and another decorator told them no strawberry. In the class with Bronwen, we used cakes made straight from the box. It doesn't have to be a pound cake, any cake will work.

DanielleRG Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 10:22pm
post #7 of 11

Well it is done and I am so ashamed to put it on here. It turned out so bad in my opinion. I can't just see it on cakewrecked already. But I said I would post. It is in my photos if I can't figure out how to get it to let me post here.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 4:23pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleRG

Well it is done and I am so ashamed to put it on here. It turned out so bad in my opinion. I can't just see it on cakewrecked already. But I said I would post. It is in my photos if I can't figure out how to get it to let me post here.

Well, I saw your photo and for what it was supposed to be (a zombie clown), I think you did OK! Certainly not as bad you think. By the way, I just wanted to say that at the bakery I worked for we ALWAYS used BettyC French Vanilla to carve with. It's the cake I use the most so the texture for carving and such is just fine...especially after freezing. I think you did an ambitious cake for your first carving. I tried carving recently and thank God for buttercream and fondant...they cover a lot of mistakes! Keep trying! thumbs_up.gif

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 3:57pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleRG

Don't be so hard on yourself - we all had to start somewhere and sculpting cakes is not as easy as it looks - 90% of my cakes are sculpted and each time I do one, I learn something different.

Good luck and don't be disheartened thumbs_up.gif

Kim

Dana62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dana62 Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 5:49pm
post #10 of 11

I think it looks great. Exactly what a zombie clown should look like. You did a great job sculpting the head. I have had really bad experiences trying to carve anything round. Great job Danielle!!

DanielleRG Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 1:52pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks everyone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%