How To Put Supporting Big Dowel Down Middle Of Wedding Cake?

Decorating By Katiwren Updated 10 Jul 2010 , 1:26am by catlharper

Katiwren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiwren Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 3:00pm
post #1 of 7

Hello all! I am making my first wedding cake, and it is due tomorrow. I have all the cake made so that I can decorate today, but just got off the phone with the bride. She has decided that she wants a pole-support-thing to go through the middle of the cake since she will be transporting it and doesn't want any problems.

Does anyone know where I can find a tutorial on how to do this? I need to find a large wooden dowel, probably cut the cake and the cake boards, but I just didn't know if there were any tips or instructions anyone had.

Thanks!

6 replies
ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 3:04pm
post #2 of 7

yes go to u-tube and watch edna's video how to stack a cake

cdent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdent Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 3:20pm
post #3 of 7

I'm not sure how many tiers the cake is, but for all mine, this is what I do:
I go to lowes or any other hardware place and purchase a thick wooden dowel and a contractor pencil sharpener (if you don't have one). I sharpen the end of the dowel and hold it up against my stacked cake to see how long to cut it (make sure you cut short enough so it doesn't stick out the top of the cake). Place it at the top and gently hammer away. The sharpened part will go right through all the cake boards no problem. When you almost get it all hammered in, take the cut off part of the dowel and use that to either push the rest of the dowel in or hammer it. Then you can cover the hole with a little bit of frosting or a topper. Hope that helps icon_smile.gif Good luck!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 3:51pm
post #4 of 7

I can't add anything to the wonderful directions that cdent gave you, but just wanted to add that the first time I had to do this, I was scared sh*itless! I thought all of these CC'ers who did that had to be totally CRAZY! I just knew the cake would buckle and collapse.

Well I sharpened my dowel, hammered it in, and omg it slid thru the cakes and cardboards like melted butter! It worked JUST like the cc'ers said it would! thumbs_up.gif

I am so proud that I even kept my eyes open and EVERYTHING during the whole process! icon_biggrin.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 5:08pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I can't add anything to the wonderful directions that cdent gave you, but just wanted to add that the first time I had to do this, I was scared sh*itless!

My exact thoughts!!!

stlcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlcakelady Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 11:20pm
post #6 of 7

That's the way I do it every time! Works like a charm.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 1:26am
post #7 of 7

the Bride is transporting the cake??!!!??? OMG...what IS she thinking? I hope theres a clause in your contract that makes you seriously not reponsible for what happens to that cake once she takes possession! UGH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%