Why Did This Happen???...

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 9 Jul 2010 , 1:21pm by Mikel79

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 11:38am
post #1 of 7

Hi Cakers!!

I decorated a cake last night that had several edible images. It is the sheet cake with the fondant bow in my pictures.

This morning I wake up to do a check on it. I noticed that the white banners have a pinkish hue next to the blue bold outlines?? It looks like the banner soaked up some grease from the icing.

But my confusion is....I have the edible images on thin fondant???? I made them a couple weeks ago to allow to dry. I did not think dried fondant can soak up grease like this???

Guess, I am going to have to reprint and attach. My partner thinks I am crazy and nobody will notice, but this is my hard work I am showing folks!!

Thanks,
Michael

6 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 12:15pm
post #2 of 7

Can you paint the white banners with white food color to cover up the pink. Its probably not that noticeable. You know we are our own worse critics.

iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 12:21pm
post #3 of 7

If it's really noticeable, (look at it with a new eye) try to repair it.

Titanium white powder mixed with a little vodka and a tiny brush.

But I'm telling you, Michael, that cake ROCKS!!! When you deliver it, they are going to be so blown away, nobody is going to notice. thumbs_up.gif

edited to say:
I know your original question was,"Why did this happen?", sorry, no help there. And the fade didn't happen right away, maybe some EI expert will chime in...

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 12:28pm
post #4 of 7

I think the cake is great! Clean crisp corners, beautiful bow, great job placing the images. Nothing is noticeable in the picture. I think they will love this cake.

Mikel79 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 12:33pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you for the nice words. The pictures were taken last night, before the issue.

I do not have the Titanium powder, but I do have white petal dust?? Maybe I can do something with that.

God, I hope by the time I get home the images are not melted in the cake??!!

Michael

Sissy_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sissy_Cakes Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 12:49pm
post #6 of 7

Wow your cakes are super clean!!! I have had the same problems when I put fondant cut-outs on cupcakes. I use butter in my icing. I think the fondant is absorbing the grease. I have let my toppers dry for over a week and it still happens. I try to wait until the last minute to put my toppers on to prevent this from happening.

Mikel79 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 1:21pm
post #7 of 7

Sissy_Cakes...

I was thinking the same thing. Next time I do a edible image with a fondant base I will wait until I have to get in the car and deliver!

Thanks again...

Michael

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%