How Do I Store This Cake?

Decorating By ybeal Updated 9 Jul 2010 , 2:00am by cyncamp

ybeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ybeal Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 12:33am
post #1 of 4

I made a wasc cake with the eggless cookie dough filling, buttercream iced with some fondant decorations. I don't know WHAT I was thinking but I am finished a day early (I thought I needed it complete by tomorrow but won't be using it till Saturday icon_redface.gif ).

Can I store it in the fridge? Will the fondant melt or sweat too much? I have some extra filling in a bowl on the counter and notice it is really soft so that is why I'm thinking I need to refridgerate it or something.

TIA!

3 replies
cyncamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cyncamp Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 1:01am
post #2 of 4

Hi. I have no answer to your question...but I'm hoping that whoever does answer your's might be able to also answer mine about a cake storing dilemma. I have a cake due while I"m away on holiday. The party date got changed basically and my vacation was booked. I'm either going to see if a local cake maker can fill the order for my client instead...OR can I bake, buttercream, fondant and wrap the cake to store it? in freezer? fridge? It's very basic cake with a gumpaste figure for the top which I know I can make ahead of time and it'll keep.

Thanks and sorry to piggyback on your question...good luck with that. I would say that it should be okay in a box, away from direct sunlight and heat (so maybe a cold cellar or something) but not the fridge as I've heard the fondant will sweat.

Cynthia

Kibosh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kibosh Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 1:19am
post #3 of 4

Check the forums about this as I have seen it asked many times, although I never remember myself. I think it was something to the effect that if you have to put it in the fridge, make sure you put it in the boxes (sealed around the openings, it think). let it come back to room temp.

Again, check the forums for more accuracy.
Good luck icon_biggrin.gif

cyncamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cyncamp Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 2:00am
post #4 of 4

I found one that said fondant "does not sweat". Which makes sense. It's all about the humidty in your house/kitchen and condensation. Much the same as the outside of a cold glass of water on the counter gets wet...moisture in the air condenses on the cool surface of the glass causing water droplets. So, if the cake is stored in a box and it is sealed, when brought to room temp and kept in the box, the outside of the box should be the surface for the condensation instead of the cake.

This all being said - has anyone ever baked, filled, buttercreamed & covered in fondant a cake, only to freeze it for a week? Will it be okay?

Cynthia

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%