Having A Problem With Cake Crumbling When I Try To Torte

Decorating By klj0207 Updated 9 Jul 2010 , 5:06pm by carmijok

klj0207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klj0207 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 2:40pm
post #1 of 9

I made a WASC recipe for a chocolate chip cookie flavor cake, but I'm trying to torte in to put a filling, and it has just crumbled in my hands...now I'm going to have to start over icon_sad.gif What can I do to keep it from doing this in the future? I'm still new at cake decorating, but when I can't get something right it just makes me think that I'll never be any good.

Signed,
Very Frustrated icon_sad.gif

8 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 2:51pm
post #2 of 9

Has the layer cooled?
Is it overbaked?
What kind of knife are you using?

kandyc10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandyc10 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 3:14pm
post #3 of 9

I torte mine when they are frozen, it's a little harder to cut but the cake stays together. If you quit trying - then you will never be any good. Hang in there the more mistakes you make the better you will become. Good Luck!!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 3:36pm
post #4 of 9

Definitely freeze your cake first and then try torting. Make sure you're using a sharp serrated knife too. And don't get discouraged. Remember that butter cream covers a myriad of cracks and mistakes! But try freezing first.
Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

klj0207 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 3:38pm
post #5 of 9

Yes it's cooled. I made the cake the other day and put it in the freezer. I took it out last night to let it thaw. I used a cake leveler. I've tried to cut it with a serated knife and I end up cutting it uneven. And I tried to cut a frozen cake the other day and I just end up smashing the cake trying to cut it and hold onto it at the same time. Is there an easier way? It's just a 9x13 cake, and it cut fine...but when I tried to take the top layer off that when it crumbled.

carmijok Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:36pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by klj0207

Yes it's cooled. I made the cake the other day and put it in the freezer. I took it out last night to let it thaw. I used a cake leveler. I've tried to cut it with a serated knife and I end up cutting it uneven. And I tried to cut a frozen cake the other day and I just end up smashing the cake trying to cut it and hold onto it at the same time. Is there an easier way? It's just a 9x13 cake, and it cut fine...but when I tried to take the top layer off that when it crumbled.

Sounds like you're pressing too hard on the cakes...especially the frozen one. I actually stand my frozen cake upright on its side and saw gently letting the knife do the work...halfway in and then turn the cake to the other side and finish it. Doesn't really matter how even it is...most people won't know once it's cut and served.
Now... YOU"RE talking about a sheet cake! Well guess what...I did a sheet cake that cracked into 3 crumbly pieces once and I used it anyway because I didn't have time to bake another.. Just do your filling and place your pieces on top --it helps if the cake is really cold--frozen is best--and then cover it all with buttercream. I find smooshing the pieces together helped after applying the first coat of BC. I also put a few dowels in the areas that were cracked so there would be no slipping. Keep layering your BC (refrigerating between coats to harden) until it's all smooth. And actually the more I think about it, I could have put the crumbly pieces on the bottom layer and the good one on top...of course the bottom layer would have to be completely smoothed over and definitely dowels would have to be in play. hmmmm. But either way it's all doable. Don't give up! I once shoved cake trimmings under one of my tiered cake layers to level up the side and you could not tell it was patched...even after cutting! Like I said, Butter cream hides many a flaw. Oh, and because I use a butter cream with real butter it hardens in the refrigerator wonderfully and kind of cements things together. then keep your cake cold and deliver an hour before the event to let it warm to room temp slowly. Don't give up! icon_biggrin.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 2:57am
post #7 of 9

How did you remove the top layer? Did you pick it up with hands and it buckled or did you try to slide it onto a board and it broke?
You said a chocolate chip cake. Did it have chocolate chips in it that you were trying to cut through?

klj0207 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 2:01pm
post #8 of 9

I tried to pick it up any way I could...my hands, spatulas...And yes it had mini chocolate chips in it. What I ended up and did was I cut it, and after it crumbled (it broke into several pieces) I put it back in the freezer for a while. When I got it out, it was a little more stable and I took these ladies advice and used it anyway. I pieced it back together after I put the filling in and covered it in buttercream. And looking at it, you'd never know!!

carmijok Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 5:06pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by klj0207

I tried to pick it up any way I could...my hands, spatulas...And yes it had mini chocolate chips in it. What I ended up and did was I cut it, and after it crumbled (it broke into several pieces) I put it back in the freezer for a while. When I got it out, it was a little more stable and I took these ladies advice and used it anyway. I pieced it back together after I put the filling in and covered it in buttercream. And looking at it, you'd never know!!

Yea! good for you! Things won't always go wrong, but now you know when they do, you can overcome! Whew! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%