Can Cake Topper Cupcakes Be Frozen For A Year?

Baking By Sweetpeazmom Updated 9 Jul 2010 , 12:10am by meharding

Sweetpeazmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetpeazmom Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 2:30pm
post #1 of 10

Sorry if this has been answered before, but I couldn't find a thread on freezing for that long. I am doing the cupcakes for the wedding of a family friend. I don't need to freeze the ones for the wedding, but the bride loves cupcakes and wanted to have 2 extra to freeze for their 1 year Anniversary, like you do for a small wedding cake top. I didn't think they would be good after that long in the freezer, but wasn't sure. Has anyone ever frozen iced cupcakes for that long? Can it be done and how would you go about wrapping it? Thanks for any advice. The wedding is this weekend.

9 replies
carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 2:47pm
post #2 of 10

I would think you would freeze similar to what you do to wedding cake tiers. That is to wrap each individually with cling wrap, then foil and then put both in a ziplock bag made for the freezer...making sure to push all the air out of the bag...air is the enemy. Why not remind her that she could just purchase more cupcakes when her anniversary rolls around? My daughter's top tier did not make it to the anniversary so I made her a copy. I wonder how many brides are REALLY able to keep their wedding cake tier for a whole year? icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 2:49pm
post #3 of 10

I always offer my brides a gift cert for an anniversary tier baked fresh for their anniversary. I always say, "Year old cake tastes a lot like . . . year old cake."

angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 2:54pm
post #4 of 10

I am not sure about freezing cupcakes. But had to add this. I did a cake last year and the bride and groom took the top tier and cut it into 12 pieces wrapped individually and froze. Each month they take one piece of cake out and enjoy it on the day they were married. So they are celebrating their anniversary each month. I thought it was a great idea. They said the cake has been very good, no probems at all!

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 3:07pm
post #5 of 10

We saved our top tier until our first anniversary. Then threw it out. Happy Anniversary to us. It was greasy, freezer-burned and gross. I'm sure it wasn't wrapped adequately, but it was still year-old cake. I wouldn't recommend it. Why eat old cake when you can eat fresh (while looking at a picture of your beautiful wedding cake from a year ago)?

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:07pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I always offer my brides a gift cert for an anniversary tier baked fresh for their anniversary. I always say, "Year old cake tastes a lot like . . . year old cake."

great idea!

tweeter_bug98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tweeter_bug98 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:35pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelcakes5

I am not sure about freezing cupcakes. But had to add this. I did a cake last year and the bride and groom took the top tier and cut it into 12 pieces wrapped individually and froze. Each month they take one piece of cake out and enjoy it on the day they were married. So they are celebrating their anniversary each month. I thought it was a great idea. They said the cake has been very good, no probems at all!

I love that idea!

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:49pm
post #8 of 10

I wish I had taken the time to properly wrap and freeze my top tier.

We left for our honeymoon early the next morning and when we came back we found that my mother had just left the top tier sitting on our countertop for the whole week. I peeked inside and I could see green stuff on the cake. Don't know if it was mold or something from the flowers (yes, the florist just stuck the flowers directly into the cake, roses, callas, etc) but we threw it out. I was kinda bummed because that cake was so yummy.

But I wouldn't recommend freezing cupcakes for a year. I like the certificate idea. The bakery I went through offered a certificate IF we returned the cake plates. I never got my hands on the plates though.

Sweetpeazmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetpeazmom Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 11:52pm
post #9 of 10

I was thinking the same thing --- would probably not be a good idea. It's not the same as a wedding cake tier, which is covered in icing. I think that also acts as a cover for the cake, whereas a cupcake only has the paper around it. Of course wrapping it would help some, but I don't know.

Leah--- I think that's a great idea. Gift certificate it is!!! I like the idea of fresh.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

meharding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meharding Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 12:10am
post #10 of 10

if you have one of those food saver systems you can freeze the cupcakes and once they are good and frozen vacuum seal them. The are good for a really long time that way with no freezer burn. I use mine all the time for leftover cake, twice baked potatoes quantities of stuff I cook up in the smoker etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%