Please Help----Does Anyone Know How Long You Can . . .

Baking By Sweetpeazmom Updated 9 Jul 2010 , 12:00am by Sweetpeazmom

Sweetpeazmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetpeazmom Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 10:25pm
post #1 of 5

freeze a cupcake that has been iced? I am doing the cupcakes for the wedding of a family friend. I don't need to freeze the ones for the wedding, but the bride loves cupcakes and wanted to have 2 extra to freeze for their 1 year Anniversary, like you do for a small wedding cake top. I didn't think they would be good after that long in the freezer, but wasn't sure. Has anyone ever frozen iced cupcakes for that long? Can it be done and how would you go about wrapping it? Thanks for any advice. The wedding is this weekend.

4 replies
Sweetpeazmom Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:54am
post #2 of 5

Anyone??????

oh Bump!!!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 2:27pm
post #3 of 5

I have no idea. On the one hand, cupcakes dry out fast. On the other hand, wrapping well is what keeps cakes okay in the freezer. Hopefully someone else will come along with more knowledge than I have.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 3:00pm
post #4 of 5

I'd do it just like the top tier of a wedding cake. I'd recommend first freezing it for a couple of hours (just long enough to freeze the icing so it doesn't get smashed or messed up), then wrap tightly with a couple layers of plastic wrap, put a layer or two of aluminum foil on top of that, and toss back into the freezer.

Sweetpeazmom Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 12:00am
post #5 of 5

I think freezing and then wrapping then foil would be the way to go for a shorter period of time, but I'm still not so sure about a whole year. I just finished baking all 200 cuppies with a few extra. I think I'll try one that way so we'll know for sure. I'll date it and toss it back in the freezer. In a year, I'll try to remember to post the results when I pull it out. But for now, I think I'm going with Leah's suggestion on another thread. Gift Certificate for their 1st Anniversary. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%