What's The Trick (To Sharon's No Crumb Cakes)

Decorating By DaveInTulsa Updated 11 Nov 2011 , 7:23pm by CupcakeQT82

DaveInTulsa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaveInTulsa Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 3:36am
post #1 of 24

Watching Sharon Z's dvd's and she's icing, cutting, and decorating and there are no crumbs flying off her cakes. I've tried recipe after recipe trying to find a cake like that and I can't. I saw a couple recipes on her blogs, and while there was one that came pretty close, it kinda sank in the middle and didn't really rise enough to make a good looking cake. Anyone know the trick?

23 replies
mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 3:44am
post #2 of 24

I honestly don't think it's the cake recipe, it's the experience decorating. I was a cake decorator in a grocery store for years cranking out round and sheet cake and you just get the hang of working with cake. The cakes I make now are doctored cake mixes & I have no problems with crumbs. HTH & good luck.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 3:59am
post #3 of 24

Haven't seen Sharon's DVD's, but....

If your buttercream is too thick, you will pick up crumbs when you lift the spatula...

So the trick is to use a medium or thin icing to crumb coat - and never lift the spatula:

http://www.wilton.com/blog/index.php/start-with-a-crumb-coat-for-a-smooth-cake-finish

Chilling your cakes or even freezing briefly will also help keep the cake intact.

HTH

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 4:27am
post #4 of 24

I find that now that I use a spray (Baker's Joy or something like it) on my pans, my cakes come out super clean. That might be something to try if you haven't already! icon_smile.gif

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 5:54am
post #5 of 24

here is a link to the 2 recipes I use:

http://sugaredblog.blogspot.com/2008/12/few-of-my-favorite-things.html

I find the WASC with duncan hines or fruit flavored mixes to be more crumbly.

The durable with betty crocker is the firmest and least crumbly.

HTH!

DaveInTulsa Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 12:51pm
post #6 of 24

Thanks. I watched the Topsy Turvy DVD last night and was impressed with the way that cake worked with no crumbs. I've made both recipes and the durable cake recipe (while it tasted great) seemed to sink in the middle. I'll keep working with it. Thanks!

jerseygirlNga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jerseygirlNga Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 1:13pm
post #7 of 24

Dave...keep in mind that no one watching is tasting. Her cakes may look perfect (and may taste great...no disrespect toward Sharon) but they may be baked to used as a prop.

DaveInTulsa Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 4:11pm
post #8 of 24

I'm wondering if I should double the recipe, even for 2 8inch cakes. With the WASC recipe and the added sugar and flour, of course it makes more batter. The more dense recipe didn't rise even to the top of the cake pans. I'll try doubling it, and using a nail or heating core.

honeyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeyscakes Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 4:17pm
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInTulsa

Watching Sharon Z's dvd's and she's icing, cutting, and decorating and there are no crumbs flying off her cakes. I've tried recipe after recipe trying to find a cake like that and I can't. I saw a couple recipes on her blogs, and while there was one that came pretty close, it kinda sank in the middle and didn't really rise enough to make a good looking cake. Anyone know the trick?

I used to wonder about that...but never got a chance to ask Ms Sharon about that.
This last month I made "extra tall" layers from WASC ( the recipes on Ms Sharon's blog- I used whole eggs not just whites) and there were barely any crumbs. the cake took a lot longer to bake..but they baked beautifully and didn't burn or taste like corn bread.
I am waiting for her back to basics DVD to see and get a re assurance from watching her on the way she bakes icon_biggrin.gif
ZAMBITO ROCKS!!! I've never thought my cakes would be THAT crumb free.
- h

sugarshack Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 4:25pm
post #10 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygirlNga

Dave...keep in mind that no one watching is tasting. Her cakes may look perfect (and may taste great...no disrespect toward Sharon) but they may be baked to used as a prop.

No prop baking or decorating in our DVDs. We do everything with the real stuff, in real time....

No offense taken, but it would not do much good to instruct people with "props" that they cannot duplicate at home. All the cakes in the DVDs are the 2 recipes I linked you to, and we include those recipes in the DVDs where they are needed.

The topsy turvy DVD was done with the durable recipe using Betty Crocker.

The only time I have some sink a little is when I use Pillsbury mix cuz it already has pudding in it.

Also, be sure not to underbake, these take a little longer due to all the extra ingredients.

sugarshack Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 4:27pm
post #11 of 24

PS.... and to prove the above, the new baking DVD shows me making the batter and baking the recipes I have mentioned, in real time, torting , filling and icing them.... no prop cakes for us. icon_smile.gif

DaveInTulsa Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 4:28pm
post #12 of 24

Betty Crocker it is then. I'm not sure which mix I used, but my wife said it was the best chocolate cake she'd ever had. I'm also looking forward to the new DVD. I'll keep working with it, thanks so much!

sugarshack Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 4:30pm
post #13 of 24

keep me posted, Dave. We will keep trying till you have success!

Mickeebabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickeebabe Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 10:30pm
post #14 of 24

Thank you for the recipes. I use Betty Crocker devils food cake mix and get tons of crumbs (even with a crumb coat) so I'm hoping with those additions to it I won't have the crumb problem anymore. icon_smile.gif

Can I also use this recipe for cupcakes? Do I bake them according to the directions on the boxes (with maybe a few extra minutes added to them)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

here is a link to the 2 recipes I use:

http://sugaredblog.blogspot.com/2008/12/few-of-my-favorite-things.html

I find the WASC with duncan hines or fruit flavored mixes to be more crumbly.

The durable with betty crocker is the firmest and least crumbly.

HTH!

sugarshack Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 12:02am
post #15 of 24

chocolate cake will always be more crumby than white, but oddly, I find when I carve the durable chocolate, it carves very cleanly with few crumbs and tearing....

DaveInTulsa Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 3:44pm
post #16 of 24

I made the cake over the weekend using the durable recipe. White cake w/coconut flavoring, coconut buttercream with coconut and almonds in the filling and chocolate ganache. (almond joy cake) I even made cake balls from the scraps and it all turned out very nice. The cake was very moist and easy to work with, and everyone loved it.

sugarshack Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 5:33am
post #17 of 24

glad to hear u had success Dave. Was it what you wanted this time as far as crumb etc?

DaveInTulsa Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 3:20pm
post #18 of 24

I had just a couple crumbs when I was icing it, but I was real happy with the way it turned out. The last time I tried the durable cake recipe, it was chocolate, and this time with the white mix. I also didn't add the pudding since it had it in the mix. My plan was to use coconut buttercream icing, which I did and then pour chocolate ganache over the top. My ganache was a little thin, so I ended up icing it with the buttercream, then covering it entirely in the ganache. Everyone loved it. More importantly, I've found my "go to" cake recipe. Thanks.

sugarshack Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 4:15pm
post #19 of 24

great!

calicopurr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calicopurr Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 3:28am
post #20 of 24

Sharon,
What do you do with the egg yolks for your durable cake recipe? Do you buy just pasteurized egg whites? I wonder if it's still durable if I added both the whites and the yolks......what do you think?

sugarshack Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 3:30am
post #21 of 24

i throw them away.... I have not tried it with all whole eggs but if I did i would use one less egg. I bet it will work fine.

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 11 Nov 2011 , 2:00am
post #22 of 24

Sharon - Do you still you Betty Crocker since they have made their product smaller. Do you still add the 1 cup of flour and 1 cup of suagr, etc even though the mix is less? Was wondering if this affected the results. Thanks

sugarshack Posted 11 Nov 2011 , 2:08am
post #23 of 24

i have not made a cake since they changed the amount! LOL

so i am not sure yet! I am going to try it the same as always and see what happens.

CupcakeQT82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeQT82 Posted 11 Nov 2011 , 7:23pm
post #24 of 24

Marking for the links to recipes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%