Shipping Gumpaste?

Decorating By gigi815 Updated 5 Jul 2010 , 8:11pm by ptanyer

gigi815 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gigi815 Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 7:53pm
post #1 of 2

My sister asked me to make her some gumpaste seashells....how do I ship them in the 90 degree heat we are having? Won't they melt? Thanks in advance...Going to the next state over....

1 reply
ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 8:11pm
post #2 of 2

Are they going to be hollow, or solid? If they are hollow, I would use some tissue paper shredded up to place inside the shell to keep the shell from stress fractures and cracking. Then use bubble wrap to make individual pouches to place each shell in. Then package them into a small box well padded with bubble wrap or foam peanuts, and put that box into another box with more bubble wrap or peanuts. So essentially you are packaging each one individually, then boxed together, and then boxed again. You can make a practice run by doing this with one or two of the shells, and box it like you would send it out. Drop it a few times (really hard) and check to see what happens. If nothing cracks or breaks and the shell survives, then you should be good to go.

It doesn't matter what you write on the outside of the box when shipping it, no matter who you use. That package is going to have to survive some serious handling. Sounds like a lot of work, but I did some fragile gumpaste cutouts for a decorator in Texas, and the first ones I sent, did not survive. I redid it and spent a lot of time in the packaging and they also survived the trip.

Hope that helps icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%